Don't Know What Wireless Adapter To Buy.

JonnyMark

I did a search and I found most of them pointing to Alfa adapters, a lot of mixed information on 2-3 models of the adapters.

Wireless hacking is what I am going to use it for now, I will be interested in using it for other things.

My laptops got a 4965 and anyone who has this one knows about it, is you need to fake authenticate with wpa_supplicant, and pretty much only thing you can hack is WEP encryption anything else is impossible.

If you want to do wireless pen-testing, you should definitely go with an Alfa wireless cards. They are the best in the business. They may cost a little but, you get what you pay for.

Darren uses the Alfa AWUS036H and if you want, you can upgrade it to a 1watt, very good if you are far apart from the wireless access point.

If you want to do wireless pen-testing, you should definitely go with an Alfa wireless cards. They are the best in the business. They may cost a little but, you get what you pay for.

Darren uses the Alfa AWUS036H and if you want, you can upgrade it to a 1watt, very good if you are far apart from the wireless access point.

I don't know anything about wireless cards btw, I am just reading numbers here.

I am looking at Alfas website.

AWUS036H (Upgrade to 1Watt) 802.11b: UP to 11Mbps 802.11g: 54Mbps.

AWUS036NH, 2watt 802.11b: UP to 11Mbps 802.11g: UP to54Mbps 802.11n: UP to 150Mbps

AWUS051NH 802.11b: Up to 11 Mbps 802.11g: 54Mbps 802.11n: 300Mbps

I don't really know what to look for in a wireless device for penetration testing (guess thats the word for it), need it to have long range, good signal, and for my own network fast network speed for file transfer.

I also see options to get a +9dBi antenna, from what I read is that it increases range at a cost of noise?

Not exactly sure which one to buy.

Not exactly sure which one to buy.

I personally have the AWUS036H from Amazon. $40+ free shipping

http://www.alfa.com.tw

This AWUS036NH vs. Alfa's popular AWUS036H 802.11g adapter: We have compared this model to the 1-watt AWUS036H adapter from Alfa. This model pulled in more signals than the AWUS036H. However the AWUS036H was getting stronger signals to many of the access points both could detect. Not a great deal stronger, but enough to indicate the AWUS036H 1-watt adapter has a better receive sensitivity for 802.11g networks.

The AWUS036H is only 802.11g standard though, whereas this AWUS036NH is 802.11n standard and can get longer ranges and faster speeds when used with 802.11n standard access points. Because 802.11n is a newer standard, many of the access points around you (in neighborhoods or places you travel) will still be 802.11g. However over the next year, many technology publications indicate that a high number of people and businesses will be upgrading their wireless networks to 802.11n to meet the growing need for faster speeds.

The AWUS036NH will work with these new 802.11n signals as they begin to spring up everywhere, and will work with them better and faster than the AWUS036H and other long range Wi-Fi products on the market today.

If you are trying to decide between the AWUS036H and the AWUS036NH, what it boils down to is how you want to use the product. If you plan on using mostly with 802.11g signals and are trying to get the strongest signal strengths, the AWUS036H may be the best option. If you are trying to get the best range, or will be using with 802.11n access points, the AWUS036NH is the best option.

AWUS036NH, 2watt 802.11b: UP to 11Mbps 802.11g: UP to54Mbps 802.11n: UP to 150Mbps

AWUS051NH 802.11b: Up to 11 Mbps 802.11g: 54Mbps 802.11n: 300Mbps

I would buy both of them to be honest. The second one offers the speed, it has dual bands 2.4/5ghz, it supports all the latest wireless standards, 802.11a/b/g/n.

On the other hand, the AWUS036NH offers 2 watts of power, very handy if you want to get stronger signals. However its support dual bands and supports all the standards, this adapter is not as fast as the AWUS051NH, since it can only go up to 150Mbps.

Edited by Infiltrator

I would buy both of them to be honest. The second one offers the speed, it has dual bands 2.4/5ghz, it supports all the latest wireless standards, 802.11a/b/g/n.

On the other hand, the AWUS036NH offers 2 watts of power, very handy if you want to get stronger signals. However its support dual bands and supports all the standards, this adapter is not as fast as the AWUS051NH, since it can only go up to 150Mbps.

I would do that because 2nd wireless card would come in handy for my other PC, but I just bought a 1.5 TB harddrive today =/.

After a lot of reading I am going to get the AWUS036NH, some people say Backtrack 4 R1 supposedly is out of the box support for it, AWUS036H is potentially half the power, and I can not find any info on AWUS051NH.

Edited by JonnyMark

I would do that because 2nd wireless card would come in handy for my other PC, but I just bought a 1.5 TB harddrive today =/.

After a lot of reading I am going to get the AWUS036NH, some people say Backtrack 4 R1 supposedly is out of the box support for it, AWUS036H is potentially half the power, and I can not find any info on AWUS051NH.

Yep thats one of the reasons why people go with AWUS036H, because of compatibility. But I have heard other people saying that is possible to get BT4 to work with AWUS036NH, its a matter of playing around with the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Update: Received my AWUS036NH, works out of the box with Win7 and Backtrack 4 R1, no drivers or updates. :)

Just out of curiosity are you able to do packet monitoring and packet injecting as well.

Because if you can I might buy one of yours.

Just out of curiosity are you able to do packet monitoring and packet injecting as well.

Because if you can I might buy one of yours.

Packet injecting yes, I have not tried packet monitoring, only so far WEP and WPA2. Let me figure out how to packet monitor and let you know.

Packet injecting yes, I have not tried packet monitoring, only so far WEP and WPA2. Let me figure out how to packet monitor and let you know.

No problems let me know when you can, thank you.