Hacking Wlan/lans With A Htc Dream/g1

dusf

I will soon have a HTC Dream/G1 phone, and it has the option to run a hacked version of the latest Android OS, and I'm wondering has anyone any experience hacking using Android on this phone, and if one can for instance hack WEP/WPA with it, or local networks one is already connected to with it?

Thanks

You'll have to do a little bit more reading on what's involved with cracking a WEP key.

I will tell you that outside of cracking WPA, everything you described is possible, although most of it will be so slow it won't be probable.

Scanning WLAN's won't tell you anything. You will need to acquire authentication packets. And unless it's a very high traffic wireless network, it will take days at minium to collect the packets needed. There's always injection, but the speed will be slow and the last driver I heard that supported injection on the device was quite buggy.

Hacking a network is a matter of what you want to do to it. I'm sure you are just trying to learn, so do some research. The tools will run on the OS (or in Debian I should say) it's just finding what you need to do what you'd like to do.

Thanks all for the info thus far.

Dan, you are write in that I just want to learn. I mean I'm currently bypassing 90% of the firewall/DNS poisoning at my office for sites like Gmail and Facebook. I really won't have much time at all to be on them when at work, but I'm taking satisfaction from the fact of actually being able to do so, and knowing how it works! :)

I'm just in the market for a phone and although the HTC Dream/G1 is old it's always appealed to me and I was wondering what sort of fun I could have with it. That said I'm very tempted by the upcoming HTC Desire HD.

Basically, does much hacking with Android phones go on? I don't mean hacking of the actual OS, rather hacking or other networks one might encounter while they have their phone with them.

Edited by dusf

Thanks all for the info thus far.

Dan, you are write in that I just want to learn. I mean I'm currently bypassing 90% of the firewall/DNS poisoning at my office for sites like Gmail and Facebook. I really won't have much time at all to be on them when at work, but I'm taking satisfaction from the fact of actually being able to do so, and knowing how it works! :)

I'm just in the market for a phone and although the HTC Dream/G1 is old it's always appealed to me and I was wondering what sort of fun I could have with it. That said I'm very tempted by the upcoming HTC Desire HD.

Basically, does much hacking with Android phones go on? I don't mean hacking of the actual OS, rather hacking or other networks one might encounter while they have their phone with them.

Not really, the phone's just don't have the horsepower. They have closed source wifi drivers, so no monitor mode or injection on that front. I think someone ported metasploit to it, but having run metasploit on a Nokia n800, I wouldn't suggest it. It's really too bad they can't get at least monitor mode. Then you could hang around long enough to get a wpa handshake to work on at home.