Problems With Wifi On Ubuntu

maximumrfan

I recently have decided to try to dive into the world of Ubuntu. Of course, I didn't want to have to fully switch over to Ubuntu, so I decided to extract Ubuntu onto a USB and simple boot my computer off of the USB. Although I always have the same problem when I try and boot Ubuntu off of my laptop. I can never get it to connect with my WiFi. I have tried over and over again but I can never connect to it. If I boot Ubuntu on my desktop then everything is fine but It all messes up on my laptop. Can I get some help?

P.S. I am kind of a n00b.

P.S.S. I also lost the game.

Hi Maximumrfan,

Give this article a try, if it doesn't work for you, let me know

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Maximumrfan,

Give this article a try, if it doesn't work for you, let me know

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WiFiHowTo

I have Internet now (because I'm plugged into the Ethernet cable), but I still can't get my WiFi to work. NetworkManager says that its disconnected. I checked out the article, and I still couldn't get it to work. I don't think I will like having to be plugged into the Ethernet cable every time I use the Internet.

Thanks,

Matthew

P.S. I am not as n00bish as before, but I'm still a n00b.

Sounds like a driver issue. Or a kill switch.

My questions to you:

1) is this a dual boot with a Windows OS?

2) Does your laptop have a switch or button that disables the card?

My experience with my old laptop was. I had to make sure the wifi was on and working in windows, then boot to ubuntu. If i disabled it in Windows it would not turn on in linux.

Same goes for the kill switch. Enable it in windows, then reboot and should work on ubuntu.

Other than that. See if you can find a driver for your model of laptop for ubuntu.

What kind of wireless card are you using? Can you give us some details on what you are doing to bring up your wireless adapter? Does your uBuntu recognize the card? Some details on the steps you are taking might shed some light on the problem.

Open a terminal and type:

ifconfig -a

and tell us what adapters are listed. Should be something like eth0, lo, and then the id for your wireless which can vary depending on card, for example could be wlan0, ath0, ra0, etc.

Also, if your laptop has a function key to enable/disable the radio on the card, try using that, then do the ifconfig -a again and see if the card shows up. If the adapter doesn't show up at all, then chances are you don't have a compatible card or need the correct drivers.

It works, you just have to scan three times before it auto (once you set it to do so) connect. Open a terminal and do the following:

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

press the wifi button

repeat till you get entries (usually the third try)

By this time you'd start to see entries in your Network Manager and you can go on your marry way. Why you have to do this, idk, but I know this works for me. And the new Ubuntu has got the led for the wifi switch to work, so I'm loving it!