Amd Phenom Ii X6 Or I7 870k Unlocked?

DustinW

about the bite the bullet on this bad boy

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;Sku=B69-1221

or build a unit..

what do you guys/gals think?

For me it depends on the upgrade strategy with respect to cost effectivness. My current board is an am2+/am3 capable mobo. I was able to keep all my stuff, settings, mobo, etc, and upgrade from a Dual core Athlon processor to the 6 core Phenom II without having to purchase a whole new kit. The only thing I purchased was the CPU which came with its own fan and heat sink.

With the Intel's, most of the processor lines require new boards, depending on the CPU you want. I'm not 100% sure on the i7's as far as what you can upgrade through their line, but if you are going to spend the money on the i7 875K (Its a quad core) check to see if you can upgrade at some point using the same board and hardware if you ever want to go the 6 core route. Just for comparisons, my AMD 6 core cost me around $300. The 6 core i7, costs around $1,000 by itself. I could build 2 full AMD machines for the price of the i7 CPU alone.

Also, what will you be using the machine for? I think both price and intended purpose/price should also be considered when making the choice. For me, AMD was the right move and helped me afford the upgrade. Might not be what you want though.

Edited by digip

I recently bought the i7875k for my machine, and I have to say, it has been treating me very well. That being said, I am upgrading from a pentium dual core, and there are no other computers available for me to compare mine to, but it is pretty fast! Also, I don't plan on upgrading for another 4-5 years, so upgradeability didn't really bother me