Dvd Instructional?

okiwan

I agree I sometimes learn better when I am watching or listening to someone explaining something. Books are generally very good, but they have a tendency of making me lose interest.

The TestOUT training series of videos with lab simulators is the way to go. It buries things like Lynda.com, cbtnuggets and train signal. The only problem, they aren't free. For about $1500 you get a TON of material though. They always have bundle packages, which usually include: A+, Net+, Linux+, Security+, CCNA, CCNP, MCSA, MCSE and some other misc stuff I'm probably forgetting.

This isn't $1500 per topic, but all of them in one dvd binder. Theres something like 30-40 DVD's in there. These are not DVD's you will watch on your DVD player either. They install to your desktop, teach you the courses and then at the end of each chapter do review tests. At the end of the course, they have several real tests you can take as well, and give you scores on how you did as well as show you answers to the questions you got wrong.

When I first started learning about this stuff, thats what I used. I eventually took real classes because I wanted to reinforce what I learned on the discs, but in some ways, the DVD training was superior to what I learned in class, if only a slight bit outdated, it still applied to everything I saw in class. If you can get a 90% or better on the TestOUT exams, then you would pass the real IT Certification tests hands down.

I don't own the whole suite yet, but a friend ahd lent me the A+ and NET+ series of the discs he had and I'd say they are more than qualified to get you started in the right direction and help with the Cert exams.

This bundle here includes all the items listed on this page for one price. Currently says 1995, but thy reguarly run discounted bundles around holiday seasons for around 1295 -1500 for the bundles: http://www.testout.com/promo/201008-libMCITP.htm

awesome thanks digip. thats exactly what im looking for. the whole test thing is similar to this book i have for CEH (certified ethical hacker). it comes with a dvd that has exams set up the same way you explained. also has flash cards on the dvd. but no video. you have to read the book. its a good book though, an prepares you to get certified.

This is really great stuff, I am in the process of getting some certifications done, and this will definitely help me a lot. Thanks for posting that up Gigip.

started watching the linux+ testout. its pretty good stuff.

Those videos are so expensive, that I am looking to torrent them.

yes...they are expensive.... ;)

seriously i will never pay for anything that consists only of ones an zeros. money is for hardware.

Its not just about the videos. The simulators are really helpful as well as well as the practice tests and being able to keep track of your scores to see your improvement. The thing about their tests are that you can take the same one several times, and not get the same questions either. They change it up each time from a large pool of questions, most similar, but also some curve balls on things not 100% in the video, some of which requires reading and searching their glossary. Thats another thing I forgot to mention, is they have a glossary of definitions too, so its information right their to supplement the videos that you can read through for reinforcement. I'm kicking myself for not buying the whole suite when I had the money, as its one of the best series I've come across, and I've tried everything from Train Signal, Lynda.com and CBT Nuggets, as well as some other books and such like Cram exam. Test Out was the most comprehensive and well thought out set I found.

Trainsignal is what I use. Unfortunately it's just tough for me to have the courage to go take the exam. I am pretty certain I would pass, but I just get scared man..

But this would be a great place to ask..

Does anyone know of just a good site with an up to date ccna practice exam? I don't need simulators, I can do all that in my head. On hardware I can figure out anything but when on a paper test I get stuck, and everytime I go looking for a free one, half the time it's out of date, or has questions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with CCNA or anything found in the curriculum to the point that you have to ask yourself if it's even relevant and known knowledge even for a working i.t. person.

Trainsignal is what I use. Unfortunately it's just tough for me to have the courage to go take the exam. I am pretty certain I would pass, but I just get scared man..

But this would be a great place to ask..

Does anyone know of just a good site with an up to date ccna practice exam? I don't need simulators, I can do all that in my head. On hardware I can figure out anything but when on a paper test I get stuck, and everytime I go looking for a free one, half the time it's out of date, or has questions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with CCNA or anything found in the curriculum to the point that you have to ask yourself if it's even relevant and known knowledge even for a working i.t. person.

I'd say bite the bullet and go take the test. If you can physically do everything and you really know subnetting, then go take it. There are two methods to taking the CCNA. A single shot, ICND1 and 2 combined test, or individual ICND1 and 2 separate exams. The separate exams, if you pass one not the other, get you a CCENT. I made the mistake of taking them individually to save money, but I failed the second exam and hadn't had the chance to retake. The composite is the way to go, its just a lot more expensive, but I probably would have been fine had I taken the single, since its a good split between the other two.

IT Exams are generally pretty painless, and from my experience, most of the time its all mental stress. Study and practice, and you'll be fine. Don't worry about outdated sample tests, these things have 1,000's of possible questions to pull from. So long as you know the general material, it all applies to the same thing. You'll never see the identical questions on the real exam as you would on sample tests, so its more about knowing what you do, than knowing the most recent questions to remember. Hell, I took my MCP for Vista, and I never even had it as an OS at the time. I took it ahead of when I was going to have the class since I was already in school for Server 2003 and Active Directory stuff, so don't psych yourself out.

Edited by digip

Its not just about the videos. The simulators are really helpful as well as well as the practice tests and being able to keep track of your scores to see your improvement. The thing about their tests are that you can take the same one several times, and not get the same questions either. They change it up each time from a large pool of questions, most similar, but also some curve balls on things not 100% in the video, some of which requires reading and searching their glossary. Thats another thing I forgot to mention, is they have a glossary of definitions too, so its information right their to supplement the videos that you can read through for reinforcement. I'm kicking myself for not buying the whole suite when I had the money, as its one of the best series I've come across, and I've tried everything from Train Signal, Lynda.com and CBT Nuggets, as well as some other books and such like Cram exam. Test Out was the most comprehensive and well thought out set I found.

yes i know. i got the whole package. not just the videos. its all the ISO's, so its just like if i were to purchase it.

Test Out was the most comprehensive and well thought out set I found.

+1 to that. you know how almost all books will explain things but not explain why its like that.

for example: some one will explain that a cd burner burns cd's using a laser. the end. but testout would explain why and how the laser transfers data to the cd.

thats what i like about testout. cause thats a learning problem iv allways had. when ever things are explained i always ask myself why? testout tells me why.

thanks again for the recommendation.

Edited by okiwan

yes i know. i got the whole package. not just the videos. its all the ISO's, so its just like if i were to purchase it.

+1 to that. you know how almost all books will explain things but not explain why its like that.

for example: some one will explain that a cd burner burns cd's using a laser. the end. but testout would explain why and how the laser transfers data to the cd.

thats what i like about testout. cause thats a learning problem iv allways had. when ever things are explained i always ask myself why? testout tells me why.

thanks again for the recommendation.

I concur that, reading books are so frustrating for me that I end up learn almost nothing. Testout one of the best IT learning materials out in the Market. Good one Digip.