"hack School Network"

Mr-Protocol

in kid language hack = tricks on a pc. theres no technology just clicking. They dont even know what DOS is most of the time and im sure most cant even define the acronym "OS" simply becuase of that mentality of "look what i can do". kids are usually wanting to show off or one up their friends.

Sounds exactly like the guy at my school

totes his bat scripts on a flash drive and goes on about all the "cool" shit he can do....

We're in a computer technology class. when asked what IT was he responded "international trade?"

You get that in every school you attend to, they think they are more knowledgeable than others just because they can do something cool whereas others can't.

Back in my high school a college of mine thought he was really cool, because he found a way to view other students screen. He used to show off his new semi-acquired skills to everyone in the room.

Guest Deleted_Account
You get that in every school you attend to, they think they are more knowledgeable than others just because they can do something cool whereas others can't.

Back in my high school a college of mine thought he was really cool, because he found a way to view other students screen. He used to show off his new semi-acquired skills to everyone in the room.

Lol must admit I did that at my highschool on the Macs :) good times. Although we actually had to crack the admin password and such not just run it/ single user. Oddly enough thought Single user was how we got the hashes they blocked it one day letter but by then it was too late :P

Maybe this is the 'old man' in me talking (OK I have a couple years to 30 yet, but you all know what I'm saying), but I think there should be a spoof information source created for school network "hackers". I'm like a lot of the 20 something here in that I had to hold my tongue most of the time when anyone from school tried to teach our computer class something more than very basic windows spreadsheets for all of the incorrect terminology and procedures.

When I wanted to know why something worked or didn't, happened and why, etc, I would proceed to destroy a perfectly good copy of windows x.whatever, disk partitions, etc, and then I would know something new. That was one of the great things about being a kid in that era. No one outside of Silicon Valley knew much more than anyone else about software and hardware, and not only that, finding the knowledge accumulated by other people on the internet meant being friends with a rich kid (at first), then waiting for his/her parents to leave the house, and then dialing AOL and wading through thousands of..... well I guess there's no reason to describe AOL and their newsgroups system.

Maybe I'm a product of that environment and maybe I just happen to be this way, but even now I prefer to learn by my own system that I learned from all of that trial and error. It's nice to google when it's 2:00AM and I just want to get whatever I'm doing finished or get whatever little annoyance problem worked out. I guess the point is that if I had google as a kid, I would probably have used it more than I use it now, and I wouldn't have learned so much useful stuff that just can't be learned from any amount of google searching.

"Hacking" a school 'network' is only cool if the hack can be later bragged about to friends, doesn't ruin shit for everyone else by forcing the administrators to limit privileges (even if only in part), and does something fun and relatively harmless, and only an asshole would brag about cheating their way through college by downloading and running a script or stealing some poor old lady's 4 character password from the computer lab. By the way, if you (meaning anyone) can type something into a search field or a networking forum and have it respond with the instructions on how to gain higher than authorized user privileges that result in you having access to test answers or whatever, then you haven't hacked anything, you just followed instructions and you deserve a gold star for passing 1st grade. OK so I have just gone on a pretty serious rant, but someone had to say it. I could go on, but I think I made my point. Cheating is stupid and futile, especially when done by way of 'hacking' a schools network or software.

When I wanted to know why something worked or didn't, happened and why, etc, I would proceed to destroy a perfectly good copy of windows x.whatever, disk partitions, etc, and then I would know something new. That was one of the great things about being a kid in that era. No one outside of Silicon Valley knew much more than anyone else about software and hardware, and not only that, finding the knowledge accumulated by other people on the internet meant being friends with a rich kid (at first), then waiting for his/her parents to leave the house, and then dialing AOL and wading through thousands of..... well I guess there's no reason to describe AOL and their newsgroups system.

I sort of did the same thing, when I was in High School. I formatted the hard drive of all computers, in the Lab leaving after hours students unable to use them for studying. I did it for a very simple reason, I was very fed up for paying international student fees. The fees they charged for every international student was ridiculous and the school really had a crap teaching system.

Maybe I'm a product of that environment and maybe I just happen to be this way, but even now I prefer to learn by my own system that I learned from all of that trial and error. It's nice to google when it's 2:00AM and I just want to get whatever I'm doing finished or get whatever little annoyance problem worked out. I guess the point is that if I had google as a kid, I would probably have used it more than I use it now, and I wouldn't have learned so much useful stuff that just can't be learned from any amount of google searching.

I remember when my family got our first computer.. The good old Windows 95 days. I didn't even know about the Internet back then, and trial & error was the only way I actually learned something new. The only time I got new software was with free CDs from magazines.

Talking about how much we rely on Google now.. The worst thing with me is that when I Google something, the next time I face that problem, I won't remember what I did and will most likely Google it again. Only when I've faced that same problem and Googled it about 5 times is when it finally gets stuck in my head.

This topic reminds me..

I remember when our school got thirty new Windows 95 computers back in 1996 (I was ten years old.) The usernames were 01, 02, 03, 04, etc and the passwords were 'password.' A friend and I decided to log on to everyone's profiles in our class (except for ours :rolleyes:) and delete everything in the startup folder, and get rid of everything on the desktop. The results were a blank desktop and some error messages. The next day in 'computer class,'a lot of kids were confused, and our teacher (who happened to be the system administrator) was.. upset.

Lets just say that the school called our parents :lol:

I remember when my family got our first computer.. The good old Windows 95 days. I didn't even know about the Internet back then, and trial & error was the only way I actually learned something new. The only time I got new software was with free CDs from magazines.

I can kind of relate to that, I got my first PC when I was 13. At first I had no idea how to use it, I was poking around with the settings, trying to learn and accidentally I wiped all the programs including windows. My dad wasn't very impressed and not happy either.

My mum then sent me to a computer school, to learn how to take a computer apart and all the interesting things. I now have a lot more confidence in fixing something, when it doesn't work.

i went to a city technology school to start with then changed to a private school ... where the IT department got so worried about what i'd do with their network i was banned from all the pc's :D lol

i went to a city technology school to start with then changed to a private school ... where the IT department got so worried about what i'd do with their network i was banned from all the pc's :D lol

I breached my schools computer contract terms twice, I was even interviewed by some IT guys, because of the tools I was using on their network. After the interview they removed all my lan access and banned me from touching any computer for 2 months.

I don't blame kids for trying, they always will. Schools seriously need to pick their game up as far as security is concerned. I work in large enterprise environments and to be honest not a lot changes. People are always going to try and get around the rules, you just have to be vigilant, implement and enforce intelligent policy.