Trip

you're using over the air incorrectly

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/upgrade

Upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 LTS

Network upgrade for Ubuntu desktops (Recommended)

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

Start System/Administration/Update Manager.

Click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.

A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.

Click Upgrade.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS

Network upgrade for Ubuntu desktops (Recommended)

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager --devel-release

Click the Check button to check for new updates.

If there are any updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and press Check again after that is complete.

A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new release.

Click Upgrade.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

I am sure the instructions will be the same when 10.10 is final.

We should take that technology more towards the ignorant and blatantly stupid instead of emissions...

You are funny, but what you are saying is true. I think we should take the technology more towards the ignorant and blatantly stupid people, they don't know the benefits they are missing. You can only gain and not lose from technology.

Eh, tumors from cell phones is rare now a days. The older cell phones used a low frequency which would cause brain damage if used all the time. There are some sites around the world with huge sonar that was used back in WWII that when they turned them on would kill all the birds in the area due to practically microwaving them. They used a low frequency signal because it travels further.

10.10 Review

so, i eagerly awaited 10.10 i kept coming back to the page to check it. within twelve minutes of the release i started downloading the ISO file. it was small which was nice, only 690 something MB. i enjoyed fast download times, even playing Xbox live.

ISO was downloaded and i burned it to a disc. rebooted, and ran the disc. i was doing a fresh install. took a couple seconds to get the cd to boot. but wasn't extremely long. once it was there i was surprised. very nice new change to the graphical installation. two options in the beginning, and they weren't listed like they use to be. you had a application box, where you could choose either to try ubuntu in a live cd or to install. also liked the new addition of the panel at the top for shutting down, and sound control.

very easy and simple graphical install. they made it very nice. and after few routine questions it started installing. when creating your account, they moved the default option from being automatically login to prompt for password which was good. seemed to be a very fast install. very good use of system resources, pulling from Internet and disc. didnt seem to take long at all. i actually just sat through the whole thing. within 2 hours and 27 minutes of it being released, i had it fully installed, within 2 hours and 28 minutes, i had it booted into the system. my home folder also being encrypted. im not sure but i think that was a new feature. maybe had it in 10.04

booting into the system was nice. they got rid of that ugly help button next to firefox on the top panel. they also integrated the sound control with rythmbox. very nice.

Now for performance......

Best i have ever had with ubuntu. i dont know if it was the OS or my computer but before, i could never run the update manager or the ubuntu software center with other applications as it completely bogged down my system. it was to the point where i would have to force quite apps. i immediately checked for updates and there was two. downloaded them at the same time as i ripped music to my rythmbox, downloaded python, got on the Internet, AND installed compiz manager and lucky backup from the software center. didnt even slow it down one bit. and please note, i only have 512 MB of RAM. like i said, at first i thought it was hardware related.... but with this, i now think it was the OS itself. either way, i got an amazing increase in performance with this.

After getting some plugings installed, everything worked nicely, video and sound. got my programs downloaded without a problem and all my files moved over. so far, Great!

i love the upgrade to 10.10 very worth it. i give it a 10 out of 10!

Edited by astromech_kuhns

upgrading as i type. i hear the software center is all reworked basically looking like the android market place with featured apps an now paid apps. even though 10.04 had a featured apps but only in one section.

now that its not lucid linx an its maverick meerkat i wonder if there gonna make little meerkat stuff animals.

Edited by okiwan

theres a few new apps preinstalled, the software center has a different look and its got a featured, an a whats new section. theres also a history tab on the left. every thing seems to be organized better too.

Edited by okiwan