Open Source Wifi Hotspot Billing

singh763173

Hey all,

I was thinking about setting up a Paid Wifi Hotspot using DD WRT. I was wondering, is there any open source programs that can be used for the billing side of the Hotspot? Ive come across sites like www.hotspotsystem.com and thought theres gotta be something out there... If not are sites like the one ive mentioned any good?

Im also based in the UK if that makes any difference.

Thanks

I think what you are after is a Captive Portal, it redirects the user to a logon screen, where you can charge the user to access internet for a period of time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal

Edit: Don't know if it will be that useful to you.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thank you both for your replies :) Much appreciated

Infiltrator, your link to wikipedia helped me look for a link id found the other day. Chillispot! I saw that and then found the following:

http://www.howtoforge.com/wifi_hotspot_setup

However, unless im mistaken, this would require a linux box to be setup alongside the router... i was hoping that i could use something that was purely router based.

Any ideas how to implement this? or will it work only with a box alongside

Thanks again

Thank you both for your replies :) Much appreciated

Infiltrator, your link to wikipedia helped me look for a link id found the other day. Chillispot! I saw that and then found the following:

http://www.howtoforge.com/wifi_hotspot_setup

However, unless im mistaken, this would require a linux box to be setup alongside the router... i was hoping that i could use something that was purely router based.

Thanks again

You need to have a linux box to run a database if I remember correctly.

I am pretty sure that selling access to your wifi is against the TOS for your internet provider.

Yes, unless you have a business line. Typically any profitable methods on a standard home service breaks the TOS. But it would be almost impossible for them to catch.

Yes, unless you have a business line. Typically any profitable methods on a standard home service breaks the TOS. But it would be almost impossible for them to catch.

Here in Australia the ISPs, charge premium prices for using the internet and the speed is so shit, so why not make money off their network.

Edited by Infiltrator

Thanks again

Hi Singh763173,

Might want to take a look at Untangle, its a linux firewall that also has Captive Portal functionality. It does not run on a router, but it requires a standalone machine in order to be set up.

http://www.untangle.com/Captive-Portal

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Infiltrator, I think I'm going to give untangle a try soon as I get a couple of NICs in.

Just to let you guys know, my ISP has in its terms that it doesn't permit commercial use unless you are a business and have either of the two better packages, which I am and have. But I have asked them for clarification on there terms so soon as I hear something back (probably in a few hours) I'll post.

Again appreciate all your replies :)