Run Software On A Remote Machine And Display The Gui Locally From Windows

ParMan

I didn't know if there was a way to run software like x11 forwarding does for windows to windows i did a little searching and will continue and i came across Psexec the only thing is I can't figure out if it's secure or if there is a way to run an ssh server that would allow it.

Psexe is (essentially) a slightly better version of telnet.

There is a version of 'x forwarding' for windows, but it's only available in the server versions I believe (I think it's called remote application hosting or some thing like that). Citrix also offer software like this.

I didn't know if there was a way to run software like x11 forwarding does for windows to windows i did a little searching and will continue and i came across Psexec the only thing is I can't figure out if it's secure or if there is a way to run an ssh server that would allow it.

Psexec by itself is not encrypted, so its not secured.

You could tunnel it over SSH, to make it more secure.

I haven't done that before, so I am not sure hows that gonna work.

Psexe is (essentially) a slightly better version of telnet.

There is a version of 'x forwarding' for windows, but it's only available in the server versions I believe (I think it's called remote application hosting or some thing like that). Citrix also offer software like this.

do you know if it's an application build into the OS? I have a windows home server so I will have to see if it works with that but I can also access professional version if needed. I will look into it tomorrow. I will also look into Citrix tomorrow thanks for your help.

do you know if it's an application build into the OS? I have a windows home server so I will have to see if it works with that but I can also access professional version if needed. I will look into it tomorrow. I will also look into Citrix tomorrow thanks for your help.

You can download it directly from Microsoft website

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897553.aspx

You can download it directly from Microsoft website

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb897553.aspx

I founds it:

Needs terminal server... wonder if it's possible to get it to working on XP Pro (which does have a retarded version of terminal server).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

im really not sure about XP but i think its called Remote Desktop Services Manager in windows 7

Thanks to both of you.

Edited by ParMan

I founds it:

Needs terminal server... wonder if it's possible to get it to working on XP Pro (which does have a retarded version of terminal server).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...28WS.10%29.aspx

The shared app feature of Terminal Server requires a licensed server to run it, and not just licensed for the OS, but an additional license for terminal server additional features. By default windows XP can RDP into other machines, but it cant host apps locally for others to share. Has to be done by a windows server OS and XP would be the client. I've never actually set this up, but I remember the discussion in school on the fact that Microsoft has different license tiers for different functions of Terminal Services from their server OS's. In order to get the remote app feature, it requires an additional license I believe.

The shared app feature of Terminal Server requires a licensed server to run it, and not just licensed for the OS, but an additional license for terminal server additional features. By default windows XP can RDP into other machines, but it cant host apps locally for others to share. Has to be done by a windows server OS and XP would be the client. I've never actually set this up, but I remember the discussion in school on the fact that Microsoft has different license tiers for different functions of Terminal Services from their server OS's. In order to get the remote app feature, it requires an additional license I believe.

if this is true it is exactly why i hate Microsoft. i will keep reading and find out. thanks for the input

if this is true it is exactly why i hate Microsoft. i will keep reading and find out. thanks for the input

There are probably alternatives to native windows tools though, just have to search for them. Personally, if it were an enterprise network setup, this wouldn't be an issue, but for home users, its just how it goes.

I think citrix has a feature called thin app, but thats not a free solution and for what most home users want, linux is the way to go when you cant afford another setup.

You can try one of these, but again, not knowing who makes the software you have to wonder how secure or safe some of these are. Thats often why purchasing a known product is the best way to go, even if its expensive, you will also be able to get support for your setup with a paid service like a Citrix or MSFT setup:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...G=Google+Search

i am currently trying out Cygwin. i am able to connect to my windows desktop with putty but im still trying and having issues trying to figure out the X server part of it. if anyone know anything that would be great.

Terminal server is designed for BIG setups, not home users. Enterprise stuff, no matter who you are working with, costs a lot of money.

So just use Xming.

Running an x server is easy, the x client is difficult, particularly since windows doesn't have one.

I USE xming under windows. at least for linux to windows x forwarding. i know im doing something wrong i just dont know what.

Terminal server is designed for BIG setups, not home users. Enterprise stuff, no matter who you are working with, costs a lot of money.

So just use Xming.

yeah that is what i use.

maybe im not starting the x server, or im not starting it correctly. but once i get it started i should just be able to go to the folder the exe is in and just run firefox.exe correct?

or do i need to say startx firefox.exe

Edited by ParMan

xming is a x server, but windows doesn't have a x client, thus, it's impossible to attach applications to the x server.

sorry im just learning about all of this. my question is why does xming work from linux to windows. but not windows to widnows? maybe im lost about how the hole thing works. i figured that the x server needed to be on the ssh machine. and the x client needs to be on the clients computer. so since xming is a x server it needs to be running on the ssh servers computer.

im still kinda lost about how xming works. the main thing that confuses me is the fact that xming works to run apps from linux to windows.

The x server is the GUI the bit that displays the windows and the contents of them. The x client is the applications that attach them selves to the server. Windows doesn't have a client for the whole desktop, and windows applications don't use the x windows system.

The x server is the GUI the bit that displays the windows and the contents of them. The x client is the applications that attach them selves to the server. Windows doesn't have a client for the whole desktop, and windows applications don't use the x windows system.

so you saying its impossible to do?