Pandoracaster - Streaming Pandora Server!

ZigZagJoe

Something weird I've noticed:

According to the Pandora FAQ:

Just give a "Thumbs Down" vote to any two songs by that artist on a particular Pandora station, and that artist will not play on that station again.

Now, I have to imagine that this handled server-side in it's entirety, but I'll be damned if I don't keep getting tracks played by a specific artist regardless of how many songs I've thumbed down. Is anyone else out there using this who can attest to the contrary? The only thing I can imagine is that my perhaps tracks aren't actually being rated negatively?

I know for a fact that I've thumbed down at least 3-4 tracks from this specific artist previously. However, today alone, I've gotten 3 tracks by this artist -- the first 2 of which I thumbed down. :wacko:

Edited by undertow

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I just noticed today that I had a song play that I specifically thumbed down previously.

I've been noticing that a lot now. Also, if I rate down two cascada songs (first listen it was great, second ok, third+ hate it, all their songs are the same basic beat/samples/singing style), why does the damn thing still play em? lol

Odd request, but would it be possible to have the ability to configure at least the Pandora username/password through the Web interface, rather than requiring console access to edit caster.conf? It would be nice to have access to all of caster.conf via http, but specifically the login credentials would be fantastic. :)

i added the ability to change the login on the fly a while ago though it is not over the web interface. to change user:

mono caster.exe -login

Login successfully (it then exits)

then call /rehashsettings on the web interface. After the next song it will change login. You should not use love/hate/station change/etc for the next two songs.

Changing via the web interface won't happen for a few reasons:

1. i'd have to implement SSL, as passing a paired user/pass in cleartext is just a bad idea to do

2. the RPC mechanisms are not currently implemented in a way that allows testing a login before 'using' it

3. changing users is an iffy process at best, it would honestly be better to just kill the caster and log in as another user then relaunch (or run multiple instances with different conf files)

i added the ability to change the login on the fly a while ago though it is not over the web interface. to change user:

mono caster.exe -login

Login successfully (it then exits)

then call /rehashsettings on the web interface. After the next song it will change login. You should not use love/hate/station change/etc for the next two songs.

Changing via the web interface won't happen for a few reasons:

1. i'd have to implement SSL, as passing a paired user/pass in cleartext is just a bad idea to do

2. the RPC mechanisms are not currently implemented in a way that allows testing a login before 'using' it

3. changing users is an iffy process at best, it would honestly be better to just kill the caster and log in as another user then relaunch (or run multiple instances with different conf files)

Well, I didn't really intended for the usage to be for "changing" users. Rather to configure it for the first time. Basically, just launch the app, connect to the web interface and enter the login details and music starts playing. ;)

That being said, your previous reasons for not doing it still hold valid. I could write a utility to accommodate my needs and do what I need it to do if you were willing to provide the salt for your MD5 hashes.

Edited by undertow

Well, I didn't really intended for the usage to be for "changing" users. Rather to configure it for the first time. Basically, just launch the app, connect to the web interface and enter the login details and music starts playing. ;)

That being said, your previous reasons for not doing it still hold valid. I could write a utility to accommodate my needs and do what I need it to do if you were willing to provide the salt for your MD5 hashes.

What hashes do you mean? (also, drop by IRC sometime)

Update.

servername is now much less important; the Host header will be used to populate servername and listenport if present.

added /rehashsettings, to change login and some other settings of a running instance

added --readonly-config and ReadOnlyConfig to cause the caster to not write to the config file

added FancyPlaylist (default true), to disable fancy playlists with station select links

--fork now works under mono

added --pid to write process ID

fixed a critical error preventing login on some browsers

added post variables being set in SSI and updated login.html

login cookie is now specific to IP, this has added some restrictions to --kill but otherwise is a security improvement

cookies are now parsed into the cookie[] psuedoarray and get variables into get[]

added various functions to support seeding stations and seedstation.html

added direct variable compare functions

add getlasterror to get the last RPC error

added direct comparison for if and ifstrequals marked as obsolete

removed some code duplication

added include caching

include will automatically grab file.inc if it exists (rather than file) -- allows <!--#include "file"--> to include file.inc

added push and pop stack functions (used for vars only, not code)

added 5000ms timeout for SSI

updated addFeedback rpc

synced crypto with client

updated to v29 + new keys

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear that. Let me know if you have any problems/suggestions.

Oops, forgot to post last changelog:

fixed historyentry

added one-line if statements

commands are not sensitive to a space between # and the directive anymore

redirects will use absolute urls now

fixed authentication in ie6

added cmd and cmdcode functions

added reloadsettings function

-----

added grouping ( #{ (groupdir) and #})

added goto label (one way)

added rating songs after the fact

some minor usability fixes

updated tired rpc

excess newlines will be removed from generated pages if they do not contain <pre>

tired rpc does not set as hate anymore

large speed increase for pages with many commands (ie, ones with foreach)

navbar will display current page correctly if ? is in the url

added --auth and --testauth

version bumped and added build

fixed broken seedstation page

fixed break/continue in foreach

foreach made native for massive speed increase (and i mean massive)

history should load fast now

ajaxified history page

added end:, limit:, and start: for foreach

history page is now paginated (only if browser supports JS/ajax!)

Only suggestion I might have is to have an iPhone/mobile compatible GUI. I'm using it in an environment where I don't have a desktop/laptop to use so I use a mobile browser. I was thinking of something like iWebKit since I've used it with some success with rails. When I have some time I was thinking of looking into this myself.

• 5 months later...