Home Lan Media Server

The Sorrow

Subsonic would be a good choice, for a media server.

It has a web-interface where you can access all the media stuff

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/download.jsp

It also support Ubuntu and other operating systems.

Edited by Infiltrator

No problem. It took me a lot of searching to find a good one. I was actually searching for something that would allow a mini-mac to connect to my Windows Media Connect server and play nice. That software also allows it to be the server as well. Also has remote access to change what is being played or cue up more things. Still a little fuzzy on how that works but I haven't played with it too much. I mostly use my PS3 to play videos.

Ideally you want to have a standalone machine set up as media server, with a good amount of ram and a good processor as well. If you use your own desktop computer, it may not be able to handle the load.

Edited by Infiltrator

Performance and speed its what I always like on my systems, so right now my desktop computer has a Quad Core CPU, with 8 gigs of ram and a WD 10.000RPM Raptor HDD.

Edit: On the other hand, I could always upgrade my HDD to a SSD.

Edited by Infiltrator

Black is always better ;) who needs trees anyway :P

Ahhh, I am sorry but we do need trees. No trees, no oxygen, no life. And if you take the green away, you are killing the planet.

Ahhh, I am sorry but we do need trees. No trees, no oxygen, no life. And if you take the green away, you are killing the planet.

Eh, trees, grass, plankton. If it uses photosynthesis to process whatever it consumes plus carbon dioxide into oxygen it works. Dont take sarcasm so seriously bro. Heck if we replaced most of our trees with Cannabis sativa wed be better off as far as oxygen ;)

Edited by The Sorrow

Eh, trees, grass, plankton. If it uses photosynthesis to process whatever it consumes plus carbon dioxide into oxygen it works. Dont take sarcasm so seriously bro. Heck if we replaced most of our trees with Cannabis sativa wed be better off as far as oxygen ;)

I know it was sarcasm Bro, was just trying to play around a bit.

I'll be at the different end of the stick. I have 1 main media server that also operates as an HTPC in my living room. Please note that I did build a green system due to it being on all day, I didn't want it to kill my energy bill. It's housed in a Shuttle Box running a Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, Radeon HD 4550 (fanless), and two 1 TB Green Drives. It houses all my back ups, my macbook, my girlfriends macbook and my gaming rig (all on the LAN). I then use Crashplan to offsite my data to my work computer as well.

I also store my VM's and run them from that same box, then I use Logmein to remote into those VM's if needed.

With all that, I have small Atom based nettops in all the rooms with a TV. This to be specific which are plenty powerful to pull HD content from that media server and playback 1080p MKV's over my network.

I can say with all that, the "green" HTPC server has no issues, not to mention I run RMclock that downclocks to 1.6GHz, the only time it jumps back up to 2.4GHz is when I run multiple VM's.

So with that, I say, I don't see a reason to use Black drives when media serving isn't requiring extreme throughput that a Green drive can't handle.

I was thinking of documenting this green build and what I have around the house for all to see and try, don't know if there would be an interest for it though...

I was thinking of documenting this green build and what I have around the house for all to see and try, don't know if there would be an interest for it though...

For me I found it very interesting though, I've never used Green HDDs in the past, all my past and current builds all had black HDDS. Its good to have someone who's done the research and who is willing to share that info with us.

I always thought greens hdds would be a lot slower than black hdds, but it didn't turn out to be that way, based on your experience.

Thanks Bro.