Recovering Deleded Files On Ubuntu

Jamo

Hi

One of my friends had a computer and its OS was Windows.

They decided to install linux, probably ubuntu on it. Well they didn't have any backups and now they lost all their pictures.

So how to restore these pictures, or is it even possible - hdd was formatted in NTFS and now its in multiple partitions, and formatted to ext4.

Im quite experienced with windows and ubuntu, but I never had to have recover files using ubuntu, and my friends are all newbies in the linux world.

I'm not sure if when you reformated to XT3 (or whatever you formated it as)it would write 0's to everything, I think it does though. Also, the fact that you over-wrote the hard drives with new info (ubuntu, packages, whatever is on the other partitions) I would say that the chance of getting pictures back would be quite small, but there are some programs that you could try to try and get them back. The names are slipping my mind atm, but I'm pretty sure they're on a usb stick around here, so once I find it I'll post them.

Try out EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional, seems to be pretty good to believe.

http://www.easeus.com/product.htm

Whatever they are doing, tell them to stop using the drive until they work out a plan to recover the files. The more you muck around in there, the more files will be lost and unrecoverable. I would mount it in another machine and do read only on the drive using tools either under windows or linux. I never tried recovering files from a linux filesystem, but there is the free program "File Recovery" from http://www.pcinspector.de/ and also "Handy Recovery" which does multiple file systems: http://www.handyrecovery.com/

Ive used both(free versions), but only on NTFS, so not sure how well they will work for your needs, but if they keep using the system, the more files they will lose and not be able to recover.

Edited by digip

Whatever they are doing, tell them to stop using the drive until they work out a plan to recover the files. The more you muck around in there, the more files will be lost and unrecoverable. I would mount it in another machine and do read only on the drive using tools either under windows or linux. I never tried recovering files from a linux filesystem, but there is the free program "File Recovery" from http://www.pcinspector.de/ and also "Handy Recovery" which does multiple file systems: http://www.handyrecovery.com/

Ive used both(free versions), but only on NTFS, so not sure how well they will work for your needs, but if they keep using the system, the more files they will lose and not be able to recover.

I agree with dont mess with the drive.

I had a guy come to me with a similar action. He wanted his files after running the system restore. Everything was gone except new/recent internet history he had done.

Recovering files from EXT3 is hard to do. I had to give a presentation on it and it is a low success rate just because of how the EXT3 file system works. I haven't looked into EXT4 yet.

He had NTFS and overwrite the file system with EXT3. Ubuntu will format the drive before use unless you chose the dual boot config. It would need to format it to get rid of NTFS file system and re-map for EXT3.

Hi

Thanks for your answers. I also thought about using BT4, but when its my friends computer so, it might not be good to use questionable methods.

I heard that they've done something and are now recovering 1000 pictures. Hopefully it works, but if not Ill try your ideas

:)

Hi

Thanks for your answers. I also thought about using BT4, but when its my friends computer so, it might not be good to use questionable methods.

I heard that they've done something and are now recovering 1000 pictures. Hopefully it works, but if not Ill try your ideas

:)

Whats questionable about BackTrack? Its a legitimate tool used by thousands of people. BackTrack isn't a virus or something, its Linux with IT Tools for Security people, as well as those in law enforcement, the NSA, etc. If it can recover the files, why not give it a try?

hey've done something and are now recovering 1000 pictures. Hopefully it works, but if not Ill try your ideas

Well BT is legimative, but cause Im unable to go to that laptop and they are not that good with computers, so I cant guide them how to use BT4 and those tools, maybe with Remote desktop connection, but it comes even harder. its easier to say: use this tool, its simple.

Personally I like BackTrack a lot.

Im unable to go to that laptop and they are not that good with computers, so I cant guide them how to use BT4

Ah, I misunderstood you. Makes sense now. I thought maybe you thought it was some like bad thing to use or something.

hehe :)

If they did not dual boot the ubuntu install. I can almost guarantee all the images carved out are system images that were installed. Like for menus and default backgrounds ect.

They didn't install it to dual boot with windows.

Thats good point, that all images restored might be background images etc. It would be sad :(. But now they might start to take backups.

Once again I notice how important it is to have backups :)

They didn't install it to dual boot with windows.

Thats good point, that all images restored might be background images etc. It would be sad :(. But now they might start to take backups.

Once again I notice how important it is to have backups :)

No only to have backups on DVD-R or other static media (Tape backup ect.). But to have a technical knowledge or someone to consult before saying "I want to try this and install this".

Linux is not a Windows application, it is a Windows REPLACEMENT! :D