How To Decrypt A Drive, Without Knowing The Encryption Type

Infiltrator

Hi All,

I know there is always a way for decrypting files, hard drives and so on.

But the question is, how to decrypt a drive not knowing what type of encryption has been used.

Is there a software that can tell what encryption has been used?

Just to make everyone aware, I am not planning on hacking anyones computer

This is just for experimental purposes, I am trying on my own.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Infiltrator

how to decrypt a drive not knowing what type of encryption has been used.

Using just the data alone and nothing else? You can't, encrypted data looks like random data, and randomly trying different algorithms and configurations will only cause a process that would (say) normally take millennia to take a decades worth of millennia.

However, there are ways other than looking at the data to determine it, mainly, looking at what software was used and it's configuration (where available), in the case of full drive encryption, the boot loader and it's configuration. Though, this still does not resolve the problem of not having the key.

However, there are ways other than looking at the data to determine it, mainly, looking at what software was used and it's configuration (where available), in the case of full drive encryption, the boot loader and it's configuration. Though, this still does not resolve the problem of not having the key.

Currently is there any software that can figure out, what type of encryption it is by perhaps looking at the configuration, or you would have to brute force it somehow?

I would say there is probably not a distinct "Fingerprint" left behind with such technology. You could try encrypting a a bunch of hard drives with the same method, and look for maybe header similarities. But chances are there will not be any. The program that reads it probably just takes in the lump X of data, and decrypts it not caring about "is this really mine?".

Edited by Mr-Protocol

Hi All,

I know there is always a way for decrypting files, hard drives and so on.

Yes, knowing the password always works!

If you don't there is no way to do it, bruteforcing isn't "a way for de-crypting.."

If you wanna try bruteforcing you will need to build a few nuclear power-plants first :

in order to simply flip through the possible values for a 128-bit symmetric key (ignoring doing the actual computing to check it) would theoretically require 2*128 − 1 bit flips on a convential processor. If it is assumed that the calculation occurs near room temperature (~300 K) the Von Neumann-Landauer Limit can be applied to estimate the energy required as ~10*18 joules, which is equivalent to consuming 30 gigawatts of power for one year (30×10*9 W×365×24×3600 s = 9.46×10*17 J).

The full actual computation—checking each key to see if you have found a solution—would consume many times this amount.

AES (and most other modern ciphers) permits the use of 256-bit keys. Breaking a symmetric 256-bit key by brute force requires 2*128 times more computational power than a 128-bit key. A device that could check a billion billion (10*18) AES keys per second would require about 3×10*51 years to exhaust the 256-bit key space.

Estimated age of The Universe :

1.373±0.012×10*10 (13.73 billion years±120 million years)

Thanks guys for all the replies, had a feeling that decrypting a drive not knowing the software used to encrypt and the key used decrypt the data would be near to impossible.

I guess when quantum computing turns reality, it may become possible, until them will have to wait.

Its been proven that the Department of Defense super computers in the USA, can crack up to 512 bits of encryption, now we are talking.

Do you think they will lend me their super computers to do my dirt work. Or I might have to get IBM involved to help build a super cluster of computers.

What do you possibly have that needs decrypted. I mean can it really be that worth it? Drug + Wrench seems to be so much easier.

Drug + Wrench may seem an ideal approach, but don't forget you will get a criminal record on your name for life.

Only if they can identify you lol.

What if there is an eye-witness account?