Ddosing To Test Security Of Network

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

I was just hired by a company to test there servers, and yes I realize this sounds a bit like "omg how can i hackz0rs my gfs gmail" but honestly they want to see if they can survive a Dos attack (against a Virtual server representing their real one and not the real one for obvious reasons). Now I have never done a Dos well except against friends with batch files :P So i was wondering how would you test this? Something like LOIC (low-orbit Ion Cannon) or is there a simulator/assessment for this type of attack? Google hasn't helped much except for the "l33t haks" stuff.

Define survive please.

I think he means, how much traffic can their servers will sustain if it gets hit by a DOS attack.

Guest Deleted_Account
I think he means, how much traffic can their servers will sustain if it gets hit by a DOS attack.

Exactly. They want to be sure something like what happened to the MPAA can't happen to them (at least as easily). normal methods (Batch/shell scripts) aren't doing much of anything (not a surprise as 1 computer against a protected server isnt much at all). What I am looking for is a way to simulate a DDOS attack on a Virtual Server. or at least asses how vulnerable the server may be.

Guest Deleted_Account

Ironically After testing this with python scripts I made it turns out his Security (some IDS/IPS Can't remember the name) decides if it can't stop or "survive" the threat it blocks ALL internet activity. And this means as long as a big DDOS is running it doesn't have to crash a server or anything as the security software blocks everything it self once triggered and thus causes its own DOS. I had to laugh at that. LOL

Surviving a DOS attack can be extremely difficult, the only way you can minimize a dos attack is having a very powerful hardware and some kind of load balancer in place, to reduce the load on the line.

Edited by Infiltrator