Favorite Ide?

BattZ

What's everyones favorite IDE? I've been using Visual Studio, but have been disliking it more and more since it's such a resource hog. It also has some decent plug ins for other languages then the basic it comes with, perl and php I think are some. For Java I use eclipse, and it's pretty good, I think.

So what's your favorite for C#, C++, java, or whatever language you like to program in?

Since I don't really write programs any more(use to do some vb6 stuff back in the day), and mainly just do web design now, I use Notepad++. Syntax highlighting and line numbering for all my needs.

Notepad++

PSPad

• 2 weeks later...

msvs c++, vb and aspx on windows

ajunta for c & c++ on linux

and for web stuff i use dreamweaver which im not overly keen on b/c its more design related

what do you guys use for php?

Edited by Trip

There was a PHP plugin for visual studio that I used for a month while I was in school. Think it was called vs.php, I'll try and find a link.

I liked it because it was just a plugin for VS, and I was pretty used to it.

http://www.jcxsoftware.com/vs.php

EDIT:: it seems you have to pay for it if you want to use it for over a month, so this might not be the best option for you.

Edited by BattZ

Eclipse on both windows (which is completely broken now, fresh download of Galileo still broken)and ubuntu. Notepad++ and gedit for quick code reading and editing

@sitwon a lot more

Yea, I hear that all the time... but I've used Eclipse, Netbeans, Visual Studio, and other IDEs and I've found very very little practical advantage to any of them over Vim or Emacs.

Just saying "a lot more" is like saying, "I don't really know, but I'm going to regurgitate some bullshit response based on my unfounded preconceptions so that I can sound superior to you."

Eclipse has some advantage when it comes to interactively debugging C++ code, but that's about it. And I tend to avoid working in C++.

• 2 weeks later...