Routing With 2 Different Isp

Jakob

Hello

Greetings from the cold Scandinavia. Been watching this show since season 01, and still enjoys it!

I have some questions regarding a Debian / Linux server acting as gateway / router, and having "2 ISP's."

To describe my setup.

As said before, I run a server with Debian 5 (kernel 2.6.26-1-86). This acts as a gateway and router to the internet, and also I run other services like samba on it for the LAN clients. Here a quick paint to illustrate it all:

setupdl.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So it its equipped with 3 NICs, 1 for WAN (eth1), 1 for IPTV(eth3) which runs on my ISP closed network (ip 10.xx) and ofc 1 for LAN(eth2).

The server is running as we speak perfectly, with just the WAN <-> LAN, NATing with iptables and dnsmasq running for local DHCP.

What I want to accomplish is the following; Connect the IPTV NIC to the box, so I can run a tvheadend(TV streaming), to serve for my XBMC HTPC and other LAN clients. Heres a guide I've found so far, which I think could solve this problem, but Im not sure. http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

Heres my interfaces;

# LAN NIC
auto eth2
allow-hotplug eth2
#iface eth2 inet dhcp
iface eth2 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
network 192.168.1.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
# WAN NIC
auto eth1
allow-hotplug eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
# IPTV NIC
auto eth3
allow-hotplug eth3
iface eth3 inet dhcp

And my route and ip route table(Without eth3/IPTV enabled);

sudo route -N
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth2
89.*.*.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
0.0.0.0         89.*.*.*  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1

ip route list table main
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth2  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.1 
89.*.*.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 89.*.*.148 
default via 89.*.*.254 dev eth1

And with eth3/IPTV enabled

ip route list table main
192.168.1.0/24 dev eth2  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.1.1 
89.*.*.0/24 dev eth1  proto kernel  scope link  src 89.*.*.148 
10.*.*.0/21 dev eth3  proto kernel  scope link  src 10.*.*.75 
default via 10.*.*.254 dev eth3 
default via 89.*.*.254 dev eth1

So what happens when i enable eth3 is, that I no longer have connection to WAN, can't ping google or browse the web. I presume its because suddenly 10.xx is now also default gateway. How do I fix this ? I wanna have the IPTV source available on this box, so I can serve it to LAN, but at the same time this box acts as gateway to WAN.

I hope you guys understand my situation, and maybe are able to help.

Feel free to ask, if you need more information.

Thank you!

Hello.

Yeah, except that the IPTV NIC is not to be used as part of a loadbalancing scheme. I want the two NICs WAN and IPTV to be complete isolated from each other, if thats the way to put it.

The trouble is that telling the different between IPTV traffic and not-IPTV traffic is not easy. Many streaming services use HTTP as there protocol of choice. So, you'll have to compile a list of domains/IPs that are used for streaming video and add a route for each server, and this list will change over time.

As for streaming services that don't use HTTP you would want to find a load balancing application that can identify that particular protocol and use the correct connection for that protocol. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to suggest any software like that as I know of none.

The trouble is that telling the different between IPTV traffic and not-IPTV traffic is not easy. Many streaming services use HTTP as there protocol of choice. So, you'll have to compile a list of domains/IPs that are used for streaming video and add a route for each server, and this list will change over time.

As for streaming services that don't use HTTP you would want to find a load balancing application that can identify that particular protocol and use the correct connection for that protocol. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to suggest any software like that as I know of none.

Maybe I should have explained better :-)

I have this ISP, which provides us with internet and IPTV. The IPTV is partly un-encrypted, so I am able to watch, with for example ProgDVB in Windows. Now what I want to do is add this IPTV connection to my linux server. This IPTV connection has its own Ehternet port on the FTTH (FibreToTheHome) modem that our ISP has installed. And this connection is on this "private" 10.xx net, created by my ISP for the IPTV settop boxes to connect to and receive the signal. But I when I connect IPTV to my router, it has 2 default gateways, and I want to config / route it correctly, so ALL WAN traffic is still just routed through eth1, and the new IPTV connection is only eth3, and this is NOT default gateway, except when watching IPTV of course. I hope that explained it a bit better :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used untangle before, but perhaps you should look into buying a hardware like this one, it does exactly what you are looking for, load balancing.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/144882/NETWORK...ear/SRX5308.asp