Putting A Mmo Together Need Help.

Chaosmachine420

I am putting together a mmo with me and 2 other people that I know for right now. First this all is for free at first unless we can get donations to help pay for things that would be greatly appreciated. I also want to note that I am aware this is a major task and thats why we aren't making this a full mmo at first. It will be a small scale mmo, but expand to help gather investors and make it easier on everyone. I also understand this isn't a small doing but I am not asking anyone leave there jobs just that you can help out if you like. I am searching for any programmers that know C#, Boo ,or C++. I also am looking for 3d modelers artist for concept and for modeling artwork. The sound and voices part will be later and at that time I will ask again. The engine so far we will be using is Unity 3d but would love to make our own game engine to suite more of our needs for what we have planned in the future. We have a story down but its not totally carved in stone yet we are making changes to it to help make this a unique game. If you have any ideas too that you would like to give or give donations to help out or to contact me to help me with the tasks I asked for then email me at Khaosmachine420@gmail.com. Almost forgot when you email me tell me in the subject line say your emailing me for 3d Modeling, Programming, Donations, Artist, or Ideas.

is the story original or is it about elves and dragons and all that fantasy stuff that 99% of MMO's are made of. if so your gonna fail.

Oh its going to be original its going to be future stuff. I just dont want to give away too much because of ideas and things. Tho it will have some fantasy in there because this isn't totally realistic but will better things tho.

Edited by Chaosmachine420

Oh its going to be original its going to be future stuff. I just dont want to give away too much because of ideas and things. Tho it will have some fantasy in there because this isn't totally realistic but will better things tho.

If you're recruiting and doing this on a casual basis, you might as well open up to the community for input. Hell, have it Hak5 Community endorsed for exclusive beta testing, or whatever have you.

Before you even think about code, you need all your concepts and game mechanics thought out before hand.

I'm interested in seeing this before I volunteer into a project. No offense, but posts on making games pop up everywhere like rabbits mating, and the majority of them are hopes and dreams and nothing solid. Rather then join another Duke Nukem Forever project, I'd like to know more first.

I myself really want to make a successful mmofps/rts.

If you're recruiting and doing this on a casual basis, you might as well open up to the community for input. Hell, have it Hak5 Community endorsed for exclusive beta testing, or whatever have you.

Before you even think about code, you need all your concepts and game mechanics thought out before hand.

I'm interested in seeing this before I volunteer into a project. No offense, but posts on making games pop up everywhere like rabbits mating, and the majority of them are hopes and dreams and nothing solid. Rather then join another Duke Nukem Forever project, I'd like to know more first.

I myself really want to make a successful mmofps/rts.

Yes i know everyone wants to make there own but so far I am finding people that are like really done with playing games and wanting to make there own. I am pretty sure tho that we will get this going a bit more but like I said tho email me so it be a bit more private for legal stuff. I rather keep the ideas we have still private just in case get big amounts of funding. Well you really should email me at khaosmachine420@gmail.com so we can discuss this alot more maybe you'll like our ideas.

If you are really serious about creating your own game, hire real artists, developers and programmers and maybe look to the game communities themselves to help promote it, probably have better luck with recruiting people from places like that. Also twitter believe it or not would be a good place to discuss it and you can create your own hash tag people can follow along to, digg, and even the dreaded Facebook, although I avoid it like the plague, Facebook has a lot of people who can spread the word about your project, and lastly, look into http://www.kickstarter.com/discover for funding and serious investors.

If you have a website, that will help too so people can contact all of you and your team directly. Even if its just a 1 page site with contact info and links to your twitter and kick-starter pages.

If you are really serious about creating your own game, hire real artists, developers and programmers and maybe look to the game communities themselves to help promote it, probably have better luck with recruiting people from places like that. Also twitter believe it or not would be a good place to discuss it and you can create your own hash tag people can follow along to, digg, and even the dreaded Facebook, although I avoid it like the plague, Facebook has a lot of people who can spread the word about your project, and lastly, look into http://www.kickstarter.com/discover for funding and serious investors.

If you have a website, that will help too so people can contact all of you and your team directly. Even if its just a 1 page site with contact info and links to your twitter and kick-starter pages.

moddb.com is also a great place to go.

Best of luck with this, I started coding a tile based MMO / RPG, there is a lot of stuff to think about.

It would be cool if you could break into the market with something different, leveling forever sucks =]

"Your character is a level 1 Technical Service Engineer, you must guide him/her through the dangerous world of cooperate IT support facing dangerous beasts such as the deadly blaster worm in search of the mystical ‘Holy OS’!”

Edited by MRGRIM

just for every ones info, this game (the link) is going to be the best MMO...nay....the best GAME period ever created, if it ever comes out. they have been working on this for YEARS and YEARS.

http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

an there site is a hell of a promotion for the game, so you should look at how they are creating the hype, for pointers.

I will look at the funding thing sounds like what we need. The website we need to come up with the right name that isnt already patented so it might be awhile for that. We would need someone that could produce it quicker then I could since well i havent messed with that in a good ammount of years. Once we get the funding tho we could hire these people but I was thinking we could have community to help us with the game engine so everyone could use it and make there own. I was looking for game engines for free and there werent many that were great or not so confusing Unity 3d is good but you still need to pay. I would like to see a free one that doesnt need to pay to publish there game.Yes grind lvling sucks but then some people love doing the same tasks over and over. I do hope we can make this happen sooner then maybe most games.

I will look at the funding thing sounds like what we need. The website we need to come up with the right name that isnt already patented so it might be awhile for that. We would need someone that could produce it quicker then I could since well i havent messed with that in a good ammount of years. Once we get the funding tho we could hire these people but I was thinking we could have community to help us with the game engine so everyone could use it and make there own. I was looking for game engines for free and there werent many that were great or not so confusing Unity 3d is good but you still need to pay. I would like to see a free one that doesnt need to pay to publish there game.Yes grind lvling sucks but then some people love doing the same tasks over and over. I do hope we can make this happen sooner then maybe most games.

Have you looked into: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

I did but like I said Unity is the only good one out there but I would like to make it so that there is more then just that. Its only better because it has most of the good tools you need for the designing the game. There is alot of things unity is missing that we need to have and that doesnt cost anything to publish with.

Yes I have but Unity looks better then it with easier controls to make the levels and everything else.

my buddy and I used to run some cs:source servers at thewac.net . Long ago it was great, and I had this idea to do a ducttape mmorpg with the source engine. Ducttape meaning, use Counter-Strike:source or Team Fortress 2 as the game and add RPG elements to it.

my buddy and I used to run some cs:source servers at thewac.net . Long ago it was great, and I had this idea to do a ducttape mmorpg with the source engine. Ducttape meaning, use Counter-Strike:source or Team Fortress 2 as the game and add RPG elements to it.

Thats good for your thing but we are trying to make this a free to play but to get better stuff you either buy the things u want or buy a subscription and that kinda way isn't for us but for you is better.We need something that we can use that wont cost us anything if dont have to publish that is our own game engine but we still have to use Unity 3d untill that happens.

this +1

I cant say totally but alest in Unity you if you cant get it but someone else with either the java or boo script can make it happen it will work all together. We didnt want java just for the fact that we wanted to make our own game engine and would probably like to take and transfer as much as we can over to make a easier and quicker to time for everyone.

I did a little game programming while I was still in school, I used an engine named Oge3d ( www.ogre3d.org/ ) seem pretty simple and easy to use. A co-worker I had a few years ago was using that to finish a game that got cancelled, with some other fans of the game.

I did a little game programming while I was still in school, I used an engine named Oge3d ( www.ogre3d.org/ ) seem pretty simple and easy to use. A co-worker I had a few years ago was using that to finish a game that got cancelled, with some other fans of the game.

Could work but still would like to make it so not everyone has to be a c++ programmer so it might get done quicker.

I cant say totally but alest in Unity you if you cant get it but someone else with either the java or boo script can make it happen it will work all together. We didnt want java just for the fact that we wanted to make our own game engine and would probably like to take and transfer as much as we can over to make a easier and quicker to time for everyone.

just think though dude how much there is to a good rpg / mmo game the amount of programming is insane let alone the design work, scripting, stories, missions, items, wepons, power ups, maps, textures, icons, gui, etc etc

you'd be much better adapting an existing engine

have you looked for any existing java open source projects ? or open source rpgs ?

first thing i'd do is research ... download and play as many as you can dont just look at things like warcraft or final fantasy ... a retro title would be achievable like the old versions of phantasy start (pre game cube(master bsystem version))

there is an immense amount of work that goes into any kind of game but your talking mmo then you have networks and servers to consider unless it was web page based id say an mmo style game is almost inconceivable

trust me i've been there and tried i got as far as the map engine gui and character sheets then gave up (using c++ and opengl) i still have some screen shots lying around some where

adapting or helping with an existing project would be a more sensible option.