Windows 7 Split Up Between 2 Drives.

thecircusb0y

Linux/OSX, no problem for me split up directory structure. But when I built a new gaming rig and went solid state I wasn't sure how to split up Windows 7 between two drives.

The Setup:

1x Phenom II X2 555 3.2Ghz

4x Crucial Ballistix 2GB DD3-1600 {8GB Total}

1x MSI 890FX-GD70

2x Radeon HD 5770's {CrossFireX}

2x Intel 80GB SSD's @ RAID 0 {Onboard Raid}

1x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB

<story>

Well this setup began with a Geforce 460, but I gave it to my roommate to pay for rent since I wanted to use Eyefinity. Went through a whole lot of crap getting the ATI cards installed in windows 7 , and either a combination of brute force tweaks for SSD, performance, and raping my drivers, I think I killed Windows 7 since the event log service won't run long enough for me to view logs, and I can't find where else to check on the BSOD I got last night. I figure I'll just reinstall Windows fresh with the right drivers and configurations.

</story>

<question>

Whats the correct procedure to setting up windows 7 so that;

1. Windows 7 is installed to my RAID 0 of SSD drives
  2. Windows 7 is configured properly (cache, logging, etc.) for using SSD's
  3. Windows 7 knows to use my 2 TB drive for program files and user files(my doc's)

</question>

<brains>

Anything else you notice about my story like other ways to check on BSOD's on windows 7 would be appreciated.

</brains>

<zombie rant>

I'm noticing Windows 7 has many bells and whistles that WinXP didn't have... and I'm the kind of person that thought WinXP was already pushing its bells and whistles after Win2000...

Thank god developers are starting to hit OSX and Linux more so than before...

</brains...yumm>

Thank you very much for your time and attention and have a wonderful evening/day/night/happy hour.

TBH, with the same 80GB SSD I've just opted to install W7 on the SSD, big programs on a seperate drive and redirect my user directory folders to another drive. Much simper and easy to setup.

And less wear and tear as well.

I'm noticing Windows 7 has many bells and whistles that WinXP didn't have... and I'm the kind of person that thought WinXP was already pushing its bells and whistles after Win2000...

Thank god developers are starting to hit OSX and Linux more so than before...

I'm not really sure why you consider this a problem, then praise OSX/Linux which have just as many bells and whistles as W7.

My latest problem is that the raid array just randomly doesn't get recognized by the controller, and I'm not sure if its the drives or not. I'm realizing I went way over board raiding 2 SSD's, and I think I'm just going to image the drive and go one SSD in the desktop and take the other SSD and put it in my netbook.

Time to google relocating the user folder.

and my comment about bells and whistles, I guess I'm just accustomed to the way/wording unix/linux does things. I do think Windows 7 is great. Its just when I was a kid I had plenty of time to play with everything, now after I get outa work I just want to ride my motorcycle and relax.

Its just when I was a kid I had plenty of time to play with everything, now after I get outa work I just want to ride my motorcycle and relax.

With you all the way on that.

As for the SSD issue, unless you have an actual RAID card, not whatever fakeRAID your mobo comes with, it probally won't work well in the long run. Just setup a local policy to redirect your user profile or redirect things like your music, pictures, documents, downloads etc (keeping your temp dir on the ssd). Job done, and back on your bike you go.