The Unofficial Hak5 Test Your Skills Challenge!

Guest Deleted_Account

lol guess it was too hard :P as its only the first part ill post what i did (in spoiler form) for those who want to proceed and can't figure it out.

****ONLY LOOK IF YOU CANNOT GO ON AS IT WILL GIVE AWAY THE FIRST PART OF THE CHALLENGE****

The text was encrypted with XOR. using this site

http://th.atguy.com/mycode/xor_js_encryption/

Damn that's challenging.

Edited by Infiltrator

lol guess it was too hard :P as its only the first part ill post what i did (in spoiler form) for those who want to proceed and can't figure it out.

****ONLY LOOK IF YOU CANNOT GO ON AS IT WILL GIVE AWAY THE FIRST PART OF THE CHALLENGE****

The text was encrypted with XOR. using this site

http://th.atguy.com/mycode/xor_js_encryption/

Dammit! I was close, just didn't figure that spoiler part out :lol:

I figured out, based on the second bit of ciphertext and figuring that "&" was a substitute for the space character, that it was a substitution cipher and I was able to decrypt that second message using a cryptogram solver online...but the password was killing me because the substitution seemingly had no rhyme nor reason behind it and trying to figure out the special character substitutions was killing me. Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of XOR. This damn puzzle kept me up all night thinking about it.

Guest Deleted_Account
Dammit! I was close, just didn't figure that spoiler part out :lol:

I figured out, based on the second bit of ciphertext and figuring that "&" was a substitute for the space character, that it was a substitution cipher and I was able to decrypt that second message using a cryptogram solver online...but the password was killing me because the substitution seemingly had no rhyme nor reason behind it and trying to figure out the special character substitutions was killing me. Now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of XOR. This damn puzzle kept me up all night thinking about it.

Lol yeah i honestly didn't think XOR would be trouble some. i just assumed it would be the first thing people guessed at for encrypting text using substitution. Ah well trial and error right ? :P

as for challenge 3 it is up and is longer! 4 parts this time and you have to find the instructions on the site linked!! ;p good luck!