The Unofficial Hak5 Test Your Skills Challenge!

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

So the other day I was reading the old Hak5 ARG thread and thought of a kind of "hackthissite" "rootthisbox" type game/Challenge. This is what I have so far:

*****DO NOT POST ANSWERS IN THE FORUM PM ME. POSTING IN THE FORUM WILL RUIN THE GAME*****[

1) Open to all Hak5 members (Of course :P)

2) Challenges Range from Stenography to LM hash cracking to Reverse engineering

3) Challenges will be released in stages and there will be 3 stages with 4 challenges in each

4) completing a challenge earns you points based on difficulty. (easy = 5 points Medium = 15 hard = 20) *Changed*

5) Challenges will be left like clues. some on form some through PM some through third party sites (google sites type thing nothing ad like will be created just for this game)

6) After completing a challenge PM ME (Or one of the other 2 once I have 2 volunteers)! with the result in order to get the points! ****VERY IMPORTANT****OR YOU WILL NOT GET CREDIT!!!*****

7) Stages will be release like so:

Stage 1: Open to all Hak5 members (Starting point)

Stage 2: Open to any one who scored 55 points in Stage 1

Stage 3: Open to any one who scored 80 points in stage 2

Final Challenge: The first 3 users to complete stage 3 will compete in the final challenge!

WINNER: Who ever completes the final Challenge first! 

PRIZE: ??? UNKNOWN (Please help me decide :p)

NEEDED:

2 people to help keep track of scores/points and assist with challenges.

NOTE: This post will be edited to add new details to conserve forums space and not cause clutter!

EDIT: Starting NOW without waiting. But anyone who wants to help PM.

Stage 1:

Challenge 1

Skills: Google and Command/Terminal

Oh noes! Evil Server has been attack by a virus that has wrecked havoc on his speech processing center! He had an important message but all you hear is garbage! What does this mean?

(See attached image)

HINT:

HINT: Listen to Evil Server!

HINT2:

All you need is the image. The image may not be what it seems!

Challenge 2:

Skills: Basic Cryptography (LM Hashes)

This is a 2 part challenge. Click here to download the 7zip (FIXED as EXE wasn't working). you can also try: 4shared

Thats all you get :P besides this:

Vq<HZ7|XqI*QA/LY

and more instructions

Rnc&irnct&ihc&qgu&rnc&vguuqitb(&Hiq&vtieccb&ri&bcgj&qorn&rnc&tceipctcb&`ojc'

Challenge 3:

Skills: Everything from before and a little more :P

Just go to https://sites.google.com/site/theunofficialhak5game234 and find the answer!

EDIT: Changed points to make it so fewer challenges are needed to get to stage 2 if you had points I corrected them to match the new system (above). Also adding challenge 3 soon (be warned about Challenge 2. I have some reports it is harder then intended if enough people have problems I may change it or something PM me if you get stuck.

post-15260-1283657474_thumb.jpg

Edited by x942

Sounds very interesting and can't wait to take on this challenge.

:lol:

This is weird.. why has Zimmer sent me a pm with the answer? I mean come on.. I might be a little slow, but I would have got it eventually!

This is the pm: (Mods can remove this if you don't want the answer shown..)

The String is base64 encoded and when decode is gives

hak5isthebesttrw\x13tyourtechnolust

but if you change the x to an X in the base64 encoded string it gives you

hak5isthebesttrustyourtechnolust

Guest Deleted_Account
That was easy... Base64

Recognized it right off the bat...

Yes please keep answers off forums. I guess Hints are okay if in "spoiler" form but only for stage 1 after this round hints will be gone to make it more challenging!

Your supposed to PM him with the answer, so you don't ruin it for everyone else.

PMing people the answers ruins the whole fun/point of this. people need to follow the strict rules of hackthissite.

Agreed I will edit the rules to make it more clear. Also as a heads up there is more to the challenge then just the base64 so its not ruined! :P I'll post a hint below:

Download the IMage! There is more too it!

And hints will go away after this first challenge or so its just to help get started!

Edited by x942

Guest Deleted_Account

Challenge 2 is now up! (Doesn't matter about odder yet (it will later on but not this early in the game)). This one is slightly harder and is worth 10 points! Hints bellow!!!

The posted text is encrypted. Try google. Its a common method!

It's a very old and simple method :P and has online tools to encrypt/decrypt text

Challenge 2 is now up! (Doesn't matter about odder yet (it will later on but not this early in the game)). This one is slightly harder and is worth 10 points! Hints bellow!!!

The posted text is encrypted. Try google. Its a common method!

It's a very old and simple method :P and has online tools to encrypt/decrypt text

For the second part of the challenge, I am getting this error

"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

Guest Deleted_Account
For the second part of the challenge, I am getting this error

"Sorry, the page (or document) you have requested is not available."

Try again just told google docs to make it public and not link only. if it still doesnt work try this:http://www.4shared.com/file/4zq2sffp/Challenge_2_-USERS.html

! C:\Users\Psychosis\Downloads\Challenge 2 -USERS.zip: Unknown method in Challenge 2 -USERS.exe

! C:\Users\Psychosis\Downloads\Challenge 2 -USERS.zip: No files to extract

! Cannot execute "C:\Users\PSYCHO~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX00.872\Challenge 2 -USERS.exe"

Guest Deleted_Account

Well Thats weird it works for me :/ I will just post it in a encrypted rar and get rid of the exe part.

EDIT: Fixed and its a 7zip sorry for any who has problems but its all I have as I dont want to pay for winrar :P

Edited by x942

Guest Deleted_Account
Challenge 2 is driving me nuts!

lol ya maybe i made it too difficult :P PM me about how far you got and I'll see how many others get stuck. posting challenge 3 in a moment!

Challenge 2 is driving me nuts!

I've searched the whole internet, looking for ways to decrypt the text but its sill no luck.

Man I spend a whole good time trying to figure it out and no success.

Guest Deleted_Account
I've searched the whole internet, looking for ways to decrypt the text but its sill no luck.

Man I spend a whole good time trying to figure it out and no success.

lol guess it was too hard :P as its only the first part ill post what i did (in spoiler form) for those who want to proceed and can't figure it out.

****ONLY LOOK IF YOU CANNOT GO ON AS IT WILL GIVE AWAY THE FIRST PART OF THE CHALLENGE****

The text was encrypted with XOR. using this site

http://th.atguy.com/mycode/xor_js_encryption/