Any Good Literature On Overclocking?

eovnu87435ds

I recently just bought my first ever unlocked processor (intel core i7-875k) when I found it on ebay for cheaper than the locked version was on newegg. Although I doubt I will have a need to OC it, I would like to read up on the inner workings behind it. If anybody knows of any good reads, please post. The more in-depth the better!

Basics well if your not careful that will be another wonderful thing to hang on your wall. I disagree with that link lol mainly because I overclock so it was a low blow :P http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1804 I have no idea if that is up to date but for 2 seconds on google it will work.

Best thing keep it cool! If its on a stock cooler then your just a dumb cookie. I've have my q9550 in my desktop running overclocked and undervolted for as long as I've had it. I had an old K7 CPU that I had overclocked for 5+ years before I tossed it in the trash. Be careful use as LOW as voltage as you can to keep the heat done. Keep your system cool as well. I like to keep a general rule of thumb if the air is hot coming out case at idea shut it down and try again I dont care if it will last 5 hours on Prime95 its not worth the risk. If its causing you to open a window you dont have enough cooling to continue.

All that of course is assuming your going for a stable overclock that will run without a problem. If your going balls out to see how high it will go well that's an expensive chip to start on even from ebay. Hope it works for you it might have already been pushed pretty hard.

I am not an overclocking person, but I have to say that today's motherboard are designed in a way that is safe to overclock them. If you do a screw up, it should automatically revert back to the previous settings, if the computer hangs up or becomes unstable.

Motherboards like Asus, they come with a buttom that will allow you to reset those changes, back to its defaults. Generally I would not recommend overclocking your system, but you should attempt at your risk, since overclock will void the warranty.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=122731

http://www.overclockersclub.com/pages/overclock_faq/

Edited by Infiltrator

I used to to some overclocking on my first self built rig over about 9-10 years ago. And it still runs perfectly. And old Celeron D in fact. I was pretty much self learned. All I did was CPU clock using the BIOS. With a bit better cooling block and a direct fan tube. But still I got it from 2.4GHz to 3.0GHz stable.

The best advice I can give you is: Find an old custom built computer and cranck up them volts and hertz

The best advice I can give you is: Find an old custom built computer and cranck up them volts and hertz

And make sure you have lots of cooling as well, as the system will go as hot as larva.