Virtualbox Server For Windows

singh763173

Hey all, was wondering if you guys could help me out. I remember Darren did a quick segment on installing VBox and setting it up with a Web UI in Ubuntu but i was wondering if you guys could help me out and give me advice as to how to set this up in Windows. I am comfortable with Ubuntu but ive always been a Windows man and I cant seem to break this habit.

What would I need to go about this?

I have a static IP addressing as part of my broadband package so wouldnt require a dyndns like service.

If Ubuntu is the only way, is it possible to get a write up on that also as it was a bit hard to see what Darren was writing in the Terminal box.

Thanks in advance

I followed that link Sparda, couldnt get it working

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxwebsrv.exe" >nul

ran the above and then edited the conf.php file and then i was lost :/

as for paid versions, i used the one straight off the vbox site, couldnt find anything about paid versions unless im looking in the wrong place?

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

sup all, i kind of put this to the side for a lil while as i had other things to do. but now ive got it all working and online but i got one little problem... i cant actually see the console of the remote machine :/

this is the msg i get Virtual machine is not running or is not configured to accept RDP connections. however, ive enabled the remote display (auth = null) and it still isnt showing ahhhh

thanks in advance

sup all, i kind of put this to the side for a lil while as i had other things to do. but now ive got it all working and online but i got one little problem... i cant actually see the console of the remote machine :/

this is the msg i get Virtual machine is not running or is not configured to accept RDP connections. however, ive enabled the remote display (auth = null) and it still isnt showing ahhhh

thanks in advance

That means that you didn't enable a RDP port on it. Select "Remote Console (RDP)" and then go to the "Remote Display" tab and enable it. It would also probably be a good idea to change which port it listens to as well, since you can't have all VMs listening on 3389. :)

Ahhh, thank you charles - I went in and changed the port number and bam it worked. Although i did notice that the auth was set to null, but it still asked for a username and password and leaving it blank worked but is there a way to not have it come up? also i was a bit surprised that phpvirtualbox didnt ask for a password when opening up the vbox page in the first instance... is there a way to change that also?

Ask for the password when connecting via mstsc?

As for phpvirtualbox not asking for a password, it's a requested feature but the Linux version doesn't have the required components to do so.

Check here for more info.

I'm using .htaccess as well as SSL to help secure phpvirtualbox.

mm, i think htaccess would have to do it for now i spose.

on a side note, how would i go about getting the wamp site online, i.e visible on the net - i have my own domain and my isp already supplies me with a static ip. i was thinking just opening up ports to the machine and entering ip:port but to no avail. once thats sorted i was hoping to just mask the ip with a subdomain and then use it like that... not sure where im going wrong though

lol, im just looking to get basic access from the outside world for now and then beef it up once its working. its really doing my head in at the moment :'(

I was reading up all about it and had already forwarded 80 and 443 STILL to no avail (headbang moment)

i really dont get what im doing wrong... http://externalip:80 - it goes straight to my router :/

(thanks for taking the time out and helping, i really appreciate it)

Edited by singh763173

Do you have the router set to allow remote management? If so, turn it off, or change which port it listens to.

Make sure the ports are being forwarded correctly.

Are you able to connect via ssh? It would be easier to deal with if you just used a tunnel to connect.

Edited by Charles

i feel like such a n00b, its beyond belief.

i remoted out to a friends PC and tried it and it worked!! woop

thanks guys for your help :) ALTHOUGH lol i got an error 2048 for which i found this as a fix

http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/iss...?id=1&can=1

but couldnt see where to put this line in... any tips?

im gonna mess around with it some more when i get to another machine outside my lan and see if it works as planned

I think it should go below this line:

var $location = 'http://localhost:18083/';

I think it should be added below.

var $rdpHost = 'HOSTNAME-OR-IP-OF-VIRTUALBOX';

where "HOSTNAME-OR-IP-OF-VIRTUALBOX" is what it says. :P

Edited by Charles