I Need A Job

Sparda

I need a job but don't really know what I should do. I have seen a number of jobs posted that basically require you to be a jack of all trades (system administration combined with desktop support, some times web dev is even thrown in to the mix for the lulz), however, these jobs sound like night mare jobs.

For a year (university placement) I did desktop support (with a lovely mix of Windows and Linux with some OS X to keep things interesting) which I quite enjoyed as the people who I worked with were fantastic.

I have a degree entitled "Secure and forensic computing", have decent knowledge of Java, PHP, JavaScript, HTML. Basic knowledge of C++, Perl, Python, .NET stuff. Good at fixing stuff that broke (software/hardware/VCRs/DVD players/pretty much any thing).

I do rather lack confidence with regard to been in a position where a fuck up could actually be a massive fuck up. For E.g. writing bad code that has a rather large vulnerability (I assume that Microsoft and Adobe employees have to drink them selves to sleep every night).

Suggestions?

Depends what your after, the market is tough atm, especially for graduate jobs. My suggestion for keeping the wolves from the door is to do contracting in a support role and use your free time to look for something permanent. Upload your CV to jobsite, monster and reed (update them every friday), and take it from there. If you need an umbrella, check out Parasol, I used them for some time and they were ok.

As for fuck-ups, everyone has one, mine was loosing 4 years worth of email for a VIP user. It depends how you handle it.

I think most of us looking for work in IT are in the same boat, experience or not, trained or not, its often more of, who you know, and being in the right place at the right time. For me, I couldn't wait to find work again, even though I am still looking, going on interviews, sending out resumes, etc, I started working for myself. I think 1 thing you can do fairly easily, get some business cards made up, your name, contact, and maybe certs/degree or description of what you do. Then start connecting with people, exchange cards, hand them out, be a spammer so to speak but with the cards every where you go and get some work from home users doing what you already do for the school, small businesses, etc. One of them might lead to a full time position, or maybe even be able to support yourself 100% on your own.

There is another thread started the other day with similar posts: http://www.hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17307

I'm sure there are a lot of people who feel the same way you do, just know that we all have to go through the same process.

One thing you have going for you is your connection to this community. I found out real quick that by doing work for people in the IT Security field, I befriended a lot of people I had only heard of, but now work for. I think maybe reach out to some of those you know and see if they have any need for your skills, or can ask around for you. Word of mouth is probably the best free advertising you can get.

Edited by digip

As for fuck-ups, everyone has one, mine was loosing 4 years worth of email for a VIP user. It depends how you handle it.

:) Did Microsoft get the blame for that one?

I once did a SVC Restore from a Server... that was a fun day.

:) Did Microsoft get the blame for that one?

Nope, it was Novel Groupwise, bit hard to explain away as I'd dropped his HDD and couldn't recover all the files. Spent 30mins hiding in the bathroom trying to figure out how to lie my way out of it, then thought fuck it and went straight to the VIP user and admitted what I'd done. He was actually pretty cool about it, thanked me for be honest and professional.

II have no idea what I want to do. Based on what little you know about me, suggest things :D

Support or Programming? Not really sure what to do with a Security Degree, so let Jobsite decide. Back in 2008 I did the same, took a helpdesk job at a weird little company for the money, now I'm a consultant for a company everyone on the forums will have heard of lol.

im having a dilemma too

i applied for a job @ 28k a year

just started the trial and they've offered me the job @16k

i said no way so they upped the offer to 18k with a view to up me to 20k after 3 months

tbh i still dont think 20k is enough ... i have a son, car, flat & council tax to pay .... what do you guys think ?

and @ sparda ... there are lots of jobs out there but u need to be proactive and apply for every thing u can

edit: job was advertised as c# developer even tho im not too up on my c# i have over 5 years experience working in software houses and a degree in design and applied arts

Edited by Trip

Money is money, and shit money is better than no money. So it depends on how badly you need at least some money compared to how long you can hold out for a better deal. It does seem a little odd that they knocked £12K from the salary though, unless it was "up to". See if your agent can get you more? Personally I wouldn't touch a £20K position myself, its low even for a helpdesk role.

As I've said, IT Contracting is a quick way of getting money, experience and possibly a perm position.

Well, as you've said yourself, I have years of VB.net development, it doesn't help me much when applying for a C# Job so I can see what they've done. £28k would be the salary they offer for Mr Perfect. Take the job and see how it goes, don't think twice about leaving if you get a better offer.

I took a job that paid good, worked 1 week, decided I didn't like the travelling nor the people (Also the Job was really badly pitched to me, turned out VB.net was a really small part of the job and C# was what they wanted) so I quit after 1 Week, the company was pissed at me, but it's not my problem, couldn't give two hoots, I got paid for that Week and walked straight into a 1st/2nd/3rd Line support role, learned a lot and then moved on after 1 1/2 years.

After what has been said I will add this:

Look at what the jobs you would actually want require. Look at what you lack, and aim to fill the gaps.

Taking a first line support job can be pretty good, just don't get lazy and never move. If you feel certs would help you, take the basic job, gain them and go from there.

Don't be a suck up, but provide good support. Show you're not a wannabe know it all but do have some intelligence, and make it clear your career is your main goal right now. Someone lookng to start a family et cetera says certain things.

If you're in work but just don't enjoy it, remember why you work and keep looking for what you want. If you're out of work, don't be too picky, it's very easy when you haven't worked in a while or used to work a job you enjoyed.

thanks you guys you've given me lots to think about ... and i think the wage is too low i used to struggle on 22k and with the rate of inflation here atm i think i need to aim slightly higher .... its not far off ... but with uni loans and the csa i'd struggle .... im still going to consider it i have until friday to let them know :D

and i believe im the best candidate they've had so far ;) so why under sell myself ?

Edited by Trip

thanks you guys you've given me lots to think about ... and i think the wage is too low i used to struggle on 22k and with the rate of inflation here atm i think i need to aim slightly higher .... its not far off ... but with uni loans and the csa i'd struggle .... im still going to consider it i have until friday to let them know :D

and i believe im the best candidate they've had so far ;) so why under sell myself ?

Take the job till you find something better. Who knows, you might impress them enough you can move up even further if you are "the best candidate" they've had so far as you put it. Think of it as more experience and a stepping stone to something bigger. Its also good to have on your resume or linkedin profile.

Take the job till you find something better. Who knows, you might impress them enough you can move up even further if you are "the best candidate" they've had so far as you put it. Think of it as more experience and a stepping stone to something bigger. Its also good to have on your resume or linkedin profile.

ive just been looking on CW jobs

and tbh the salary they offered me is a joke ... i've found another easier job for better money

& the company is too small for me to progress anywhere fast

i calculated all my out goings and deduced @ 20k i'd be £10 a day better off than i am now but i'd be working 36hrs for the equivalent of £10 a day which imo isnt an option

so im back to the drawing board again

A side note here, you will be working for your wage, not £10 day. I assume from this you are not working atm?

indeed but with all my expenses and out goings taken into account + uni loan + csa i'd be left with not a lot

the plot thickens anyway .... i phone the job center this morning and they told me they've had another 3 candidates apply for the same job & work trial and apparently had the same outcome so they've asked me to get the offer in writing .... so they can follow it up ... looks like its out of my hands now

Edited by Trip

But working for a wage is better than being on welfare, even if it is for the same amount of cash. Not only are you not relying on handouts when you could be working, your getting something on your CV which looks better than an extended period of not working.

+2, like I say it's reference. Think of it this way, you take this job. You find a job you want, apply and get it. No one cares about the last job if you're right for it. They can't give you a bad reference, they can refuse, but then you're working for them.

Use your head, you're only making yourself look worse, you may land your dream job. But having a job helps you, it doesn't hinder you. Do you simply need to be told to get your arse into gear?

Get a fucking grip, don't be a scum bag. Take a job if you can, it may lead to better things. If it doesn't, the problem is you nothing else.

haha lols look guys i've paid my taxes for many years and havnt been unemployed long they are definatley trying to pull a fast one ... and re the job search i've applied for another 6 jobs 2day all vb & sql development most 25-30k

i know where your coming from but i have lots of small projects i spend my spare time on

i also have a good portfolio from university too .... im in no way dossing b/c id love to be working ... i miss the 'geek' environment :D

Edited by Trip

Hey bud, I'm in no way knocking you. I've been where you are, it will help you. But you have to know, there is a line where you draw. Work becomes number 1. You posted on a public forum, I've never done that so I assumed it was your last straw.

Other adive? Be strong, you know what you're doing, but if any member of your family starts to feel it. Then this line needs to be drawn. I don't like people bitching right now, so if this is genersl so be it, but don't post here unless you have a hard time trying to get employed, if you do. Well, guess what? You're not the best out there, either change that or lower your standards.

I remember when I used to work as a bouncer, I earned twice as much as a minimum wage person, but I realised I had to take a job where I can. I quickly worked up my wage, and have a golden reference. (PC World). I'm just saying, look at it from our point of view. If you are a bum, go and take work. If you're not and you have no qualifications (I've been to Uni, like said graduate work means little (but great)).

The job market is shitty atm, there are jobs since its a employers market atm a lot of people are finding themselves under-employed. This may well be one of those cases, they know there are enough people out there who can do what they want done, so its just a case of finding the person who will accept the lowest offer. At some point your just going to have to suck it up and take a job that may not be as suitable as you would like. I don't agree with just staying on welfare until the perfect role comes up.

Yeah, I would have never done retail before. But because of what I knew and had done, I went through the training quickly. Two pay rises in 8 months, at the end I could walk into any 1st line job. But tankfully I got more, you would be surprised.

Like I say, I don't know who you are but work is work and usually only makes you look better.

+1 to all of you. I have YET to find a job posting lately that doesn't have...

Requirement: At least 5 years in x,y, and z, Bachelor's degree, with x,y, and z certifications, With preferred experiance in being an astronaut, a nuclear scientist, and giving 5 hand jobs at once

And these aren't even for high positions.

I have put in anyway but have yet to hear one call or get one email back besides the automated 'thank you for posting for our position, blah,blah,blah..

And I have a double associates in programming and networking, but no experience better than a tech job I had about 9 years ago, so it's rather worthless right now. Hoping getting my Cisco and A+ certs improves the situation.

Edited by h3%5kr3w

One problem that I now face is that I don't live in a particularly convenient place for getting a IT job, and I'm not sure what to do.

Do I move to a better location and hope to get a job or risk losing a job that I other wise would get because of not been able to find a place fast enough when I get the job?