Is This For Real ?

Trip

As far as I can tell, not being a Linux expert, it won't do anything stupid and it *might* work. Give it a go, it won't do any harm, just make a note of what your GRUB menu entry said before you changed it.

Reminds me of the giant gaping hole in Ubuntu, I believe they've closed it now, but it used to be the case that if you'd never changed your root password (you're discouraged from messing with root at all), the recovery console didn't need a password. In short what this meant is you could boot a system, drop to recovery, passwd and reboot. Pretty stupid stuff.

Konboot isn't really the same. Booting Linux with init set as a console basically boots the kernel then when the kernel tries to start init (essentially the 'start ever other service the operating system needs' program) it runs bash as root instead (you can set init to be any linux binary really). Konboot on the other hand is essentially a memory resident rootkit that changes how the operating system functions, admittedly it only changes one aspect, but it's the aspect that matters.

I condone konboot. I think it's awesome. I have used it at least 20 times, and all for good.

1. getting into windows boxes quickly cause some teenage chick forgets her password

2. Once used it on a business linux box because the admin said F&*k you all! and walked out the door (no pw writedowns)

3. Great tool for the uber paraniod. Think about it. you type in the most stupid hard long password and just.. forget it! keep in on a usb key and that's it.

That's the beauty of Linux, making things easier and flexible to the end user.

No need to use third party utilities to reset the password.

That's the beauty of Linux, making things easier and flexible to the end user.

No need to use third party utilities to reset the password.

There's a difference between "vulnerable to a third party bootdisc" and "leaving the keys under the mat".

This is the latter.

Why even bother?