Router Is Bricked

DaLearnedN00b

I did the hard boot but it dint do anything it needs a new firmware image but it wont update it gets power and everything but I'm locked out and and have no way I forgot to mention my friend and his family are horrible with anything electronic and they call me to fix everything so I don't completely know what they did to the router :angry:

What, if anything, is the router doing? lights? flashing? broadcasting?

And I assume they don't know what they were doing when this happened and that it did this all by itself? What I call the magic tech syndrome. From what I can recall, a common way to brick these is something happened during a firmware update, or bad firmware that it got updated to. But if they are bad with tech I assume they weren't messing around with that. Was there a power surge or black-out or anything that could have fried something?

What, if anything, is the router doing? lights? flashing? broadcasting?

And I assume they don't know what they were doing when this happened and that it did this all by itself? What I call the magic tech syndrome. From what I can recall, a common way to brick these is something happened during a firmware update, or bad firmware that it got updated to. But if they are bad with tech I assume they weren't messing around with that. Was there a power surge or black-out or anything that could have fried something?

ya I don't know if there was a power surge and they could have tried to update the firmware they think they can do anything got to love red necks lol when it is plugged in the power light flashes non stop and the rest flash 6 sec so it is pretty messed up

The power light flashing is an indication of it trying to boot.

This will probably work: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recov...ering_with_TFTP

the router keeps booting which is making it impossible to keep a connection :angry: any way to fix this

How did you know the IP is in the 169.254. range if you don't know what it's address is? Is that what it was before, or is that the address the router gives your computer?

when the router is connected to my windoz box's ip is 169.254.104.61 but my linux box's ip is 0.0.0.0 and the router wont tell me what it's ip is

You haven't expressed this exactly, I thought I'd cover all the bases, you held down the router reset button for 30 secs, then try to connect to 192.168.1.1, and use the login admin for the user name and admin for the password. Be sure you either have a dynamic IP or if you have a static one it's in the 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet

You haven't expressed this exactly, I thought I'd cover all the bases, you held down the router reset button for 30 secs, then try to connect to 192.168.1.1, and use the login admin for the user name and admin for the password. Be sure you either have a dynamic IP or if you have a static one it's in the 192.168.1.0 /24 subnet

sorry if I'm not really good at this, this is my first forum I've been part of I have done the rest but I'm going to try a different ftp program to see if it will work with the router

so reading more on the router I found that the power supply I got from them was wrong so I hacked one together and now it works ^_^ thanks every one for your help love you guyz

Edited by thelaughingman