Pfsense - Desktop Drive Vs. Laptop Drive?

DaBeach

I am considering updated my pfSense box with a removable trayless drive unit and I am wondering if there would be any benefit or loss using a laptop hard drive vs. the desktop drive I am using now.

I would imagine that the laptop drive would use less power (not sure if it would be enough to care) and maybe a little less generated heat internally however, I am wondering if I would see a loss of speed due to the lower RPM on the laptop drive?

Anyone have any suggestions and/or opinions about this?

If you have to spend money, don't bother unless heat is an issue. But if heat is an issue, consider doing PFsense embedded on a Compact Flash card instead. Disk IO isn't going to be an issue either way so buying a fast disk is going to be a waste of money. Even if your using a 4200 rpm disk and running squid, its still going to be way faster than your internet connection buy a long way.

If you have to spend money, don't bother unless heat is an issue. But if heat is an issue, consider doing PFsense embedded on a Compact Flash card instead. Disk IO isn't going to be an issue either way so buying a fast disk is going to be a waste of money. Even if your using a 4200 rpm disk and running squid, its still going to be way faster than your internet connection buy a long way.

I am really just playing around with my systems and would like to add the removable drive tray to allow for a quick image restore vs. having to boot off a USB stick. Currently I am only using 5% of a 10GB IDE HDD.

I have no experience using Compact Flash cards. Would a pfSense install be just like installing to an HDD when using a Compact Flash card?

Can pfSense be installed on a USB stick? And if so how would the access speed compare to a Compact Flash or HDD?

Can pfSense be installed on a USB stick? And if so how would the access speed compare to a Compact Flash or HDD?

It can be installed, but I have to say that the speeds will be the limiting factor. Why don't you go with a laptop's hard drive, it will be smaller and will generate less heat.

Edited by Infiltrator

It can be installed, but I have to say that the speeds will be the limiting factor. Why don't you go with a laptop's hard drive, it will be smaller and will generate less heat.

I think I will give it a whirl perhaps this week.