Why You Shouldnt Be So Quick To Upgrade ...

Trip

ha orange are guilty :D ... but tbf i have an x10 and even tho im going to have to wait ages for the upgrade to 2.1 let alone 2.2 ... the sony apps are pretty cool ... i like timescape & media scape ... there's a few shitty apps i cant uninstall but thats my only gripe the phone has so far been superb

Edited by Trip

This is why I will only buy unlocked phones directly from the manufacturer. Network provided phones are always full of crap, anyone else remember the Orange Homescreen?

How do you go about doing that? Stupid question I know, but I've only really seen unlocked phones on sites like newegg or amazon.

In the EU its simply a matter of googling "<phone model> sim free", as we use SIM cards here. Sites like Clove.co.uk offer a large range of phones that are unlocked, and you can just put any networks SIM card in the device and use it. You will end up paying full price for the handset, so an HTC Desire is going to cost you around £380, compared to £0 + a 18 month contract at £35 a month. All in all, it costs you about £100 more over 18 months, but you get crap free firmware when it is release, and not when the carrier has finished fucking it up. I started doing this as the phones I wanted were not on the networks that offered me the best plans.

im not sure if vako means buying a nexus from google ? (as this has 2.2)

or just purchasing a rooted hand set ? or buying from sony / htc direct ?

Edited by Trip

I purchased a Nexus One direct from Google, as I want Android updates ASAP. Prior to that I had a HTC Hero I purchased directly from HTC, and a Nokia E71 purchased directly from Nokia. All of these can be used on any GSM network on the plant (given radio band support).

Rooting an Android handset has nothing to do with the network lock. By default, you do not get superuser permissions on an Android handset, you can use various exploits to enable root access, which allows you to remove carrier installed apps which are otherwise permanent, and run applications which require permissions elevation. A rooted handset can still be network locked, and a unlocked handset still requires rooting to run apps with superuser privileges. This is again seperate to unlocking the bootloader, which is required to install a custom rom. (Windows Mobile was so much easier)

my droid is rooted an i just flash what ever rom i want on there. all the roms out there are better then the factory updates anyway. an if you dont want a custom rom you can just flash the factory update any way before you even get it. iv had froyo on a droid eris. live wallpapers, overclocked, wireless tethering. none of that is possible with there stock updates.

It makes perfect sense, not to rush out and buy something new as soon as it comes out.

An example The Apple Iphone 4.