Chrysler Uconnect Web Turns Car Into Wifi Hotspot

okiwan

i guess this isnt too new but i just saw this on TV today. thought it was interesting.

source

Chrysler has announced that its 2009 model-year cars will be have a wireless communication option called uconnect. Made up of Bluetooth hands-free, hard-drive based media, Sirius TV & Radio, GPS and, most interestingly, the ability to turn your car into a WiFi hotspot, uconnect will be available on most Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles starting in August.

The uconnect Web function uses a router with built-in WWAN modem, that allows multiple laptops and other devices to get online whether the car is stationary or moving. Chrysler’s carrier partner is Autonet Mobile, who charge $449 for the router (plus up to $50 installation), $35 for account activation and then $29 a month subscription. Connection speeds have not been revealed, but while Chrysler cautions against using the wireless while driving, there’s no actual safety measure to prevent it.

uconnect Phone uses integrated microphones to act as a handsfree kit for a Bluetooth-linked cellphone; new for 2009 is phonebook syncronization for up to 1,000 contacts, which can be browsed and dialled via voice command. Certain models will also allow iPod connectivity through the system. uconnect Tunes uses a 30GB hard-drive to store music, photos and video ripped from either USB stick or CD, while for navigation, meanwhile, uconnect GPS shows directions and real-time traffic information. It also responds to voice control of destination setting.

Finally, uconnect Studios offers SIRIUS Backseat TV and optional digital radio, with three TV channels and over 130 radio stations to choose from. Pricing for the other uconnect functionality is yet to be announced.

I wonder if its tied into the cars ECU as well, if so let the good times roll.

Wirelessly hacking the car and then messing around with it. changing the radio station, rolling down the windows turning the heater on max, hell you could even blow their engine or make it run better by adjusting the fuel and ignition map.

us geeks and nerds have been doing this same thing for years now. back in 2000 i was working on a design for a in car PC to not only work my media and GPS, but also work the stand alone ECU that i had installed.

I love how the more governments try to domesticate the net, the more wild it becomes.

stand alone ECU's are the best. i with i could afford one. what kind of car did you have it in?

The 2 i worked with the most where Haltech's and Microtech's I always wanted to do the megasquirt but never really had the software down *back in version 1*

Those days are quite a while back now the RX-7 has been gone for around 5 years now.

one of these days i hope to have a car i'll be willing to toss another standalone on, perhaps a geo metro and tune the fuel economy through the roof.

The 2 i worked with the most where Haltech's and Microtech's I always wanted to do the megasquirt but never really had the software down *back in version 1*

Those days are quite a while back now the RX-7 has been gone for around 5 years now.

one of these days i hope to have a car i'll be willing to toss another standalone on, perhaps a geo metro and tune the fuel economy through the roof.

i used to have a 2nd gen rx7. now im rockin a '97 240sx with a sr20det at 14.5 PSI.

lol @ geo metro. i seen an ad awhile ago selling two of them for $500. both cars together for $500. 3 cylinders certainly do have good fuel economy put i wouldnt recommend pulling out into the highway unless theres no cars coming for about a mile. lol

i used to have a 2nd gen rx7. now im rockin a '97 240sx with a sr20det at 14.5 PSI.

lol @ geo metro. i seen an ad awhile ago selling two of them for $500. both cars together for $500. 3 cylinders certainly do have good fuel economy put i wouldnt recommend pulling out into the highway unless theres no cars coming for about a mile. lol

I grew out of the need to go fast when i moved out of LA and up to Oregon. The speed limit out here is for the most part still 55mph people MIGHT do 70 in the fast lane no where near the 80-90 they did down south *at least when it wasn't bumper to bumper*

even when i was down there i had 2 cars my daily driver a Mazda 323 and my toy car a 88 Turbo II. cars are tools and should be used as such IMHO. you want gas mileage and comfort for your commute to work. you want speed and fun on the track.

Please Please Please keep it on the track. i've seen too many car accidents back in the day. to many people got hurt by doing street racing, or as i'm guessing by your car choice Drifting up in the mountains. tons of people lost their cars and lives up on that road when i was into it. then every kid with some kind of Japanese car started going up there and taking their car into the side of the mountain or worse off the cliff.

Ok sorry for sounding like an old geezer just please be safe about it.

Back on topic. Geo Metros are great. its allot more fun for me to be able to go 100's of miles farther and cheaper then i could with my old 7. I admit there was nothing like feeling that turbo kick in and getting slammed back into your seat. but now i just want to get from point a to point b as cheaply as i can.

ya dont worry. im in my late 20's an iv been racing sense i was 17. iv been drifting ever sense i was able to drive. im pretty good at it. but sadly with todays economy i cant afford to drift anymore. so my car is just a get from point A to point B car....but in style an quickly. ;)