Ispot 4g How Dose It Know I Am Using An Ios Device Vs A Laptop

Noonan

I just picked up the ispot from http://www.clear.com/ plans start from $25.00 per month. The wifi hot spot works with only apple devices using the ios operating system. How dose it know that I am using my iphone vs my laptop. also the ispot dose not recognize my new iphone4. How would I go about emulating my old iphone3Gs? Do I need to be worried about someone emulating my iphone3Gs on a computer and steeling my internet? I love the small device and its low monthly cost, but if it will not work on my new phone then what is the point. I know they may have an update for the ispot to fix the iphone4 bug but I would like to figure out how it all works.

Edited by Noonan

chances are it goes off the mac address... I imagine apple uses a slightly different set of mac addresses for different devices...

to test this find someone with a device your new wimax porta-router is supposed to work with and mimic their mac address on your laptop. if it connects you're in! (you would have to mimic it on your wireless card obviously)

alternatively it could do an OS fingerprint scan, (this is highly unlikely but plausable)

for example nmap reveals my HTC Incredible as

OS details: AXIS 207W Network Camera, Linux 2.6.14 - 2.6.16, Linux 2.6.17 (Mandriva), Linux 2.6.22, Linux 2.6.24 - 2.6.28

no suggestion or idea as to how to get around that...

short version: try the mac address spoofing

edit: here is a 3G mac address (only the last two have been changed) 00:21:E9:95:18:EF

good luck!

edit edit: as for your iphone 4G if it is jailbroken, ssh into it and change to root and try the following command

ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:21:E9:95:18:EF

Edited by BlueWyvern

chances are it goes off the mac address... I imagine apple uses a slightly different set of mac addresses for different devices...

to test this find someone with a device your new wimax porta-router is supposed to work with and mimic their mac address on your laptop. if it connects you're in! (you would have to mimic it on your wireless card obviously)

alternatively it could do an OS fingerprint scan, (this is highly unlikely but plausable)

for example nmap reveals my HTC Incredible as

OS details: AXIS 207W Network Camera, Linux 2.6.14 - 2.6.16, Linux 2.6.17 (Mandriva), Linux 2.6.22, Linux 2.6.24 - 2.6.28

no suggestion or idea as to how to get around that...

short version: try the mac address spoofing

edit: here is a 3G mac address (only the last two have been changed) 00:21:E9:95:18:EF

good luck!

Wow. I would have never thought of that. That would explain a lot. I was thinking that it looked at your browser and what protocols you used to request stuff over the internet. Is it possible to change the mac address in my new iphone? I will give it a shot and let you know if it works.