For The Safety Of Users!

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

In case you didn't read the original post about this HERE everyone should consider doing this:

yeah, when i dealt on the other forms I always made sure I used paypal. There are other things that you can do to make it easier to thwart con-artists. If you take pictures of your item for sale, write on a piece of paper your username and the date of the shot, and include it in the picture. If it is something big, I wouldn't go for the deal unless I could send half up front, and half once the package arrives. and of course, never buy from someone if they cannot provide you pictures!

(posted by eovnu87435ds)

Just a heads-up to make sure trading stays safe and legit :)

Thanks for starting it up. and I for one will be posting items soon :)

x942

P.S. VaKo feel free to remove this if a rules thread is put up I just wanted to add it in to make sure.

One thing that would help with scams is well braking an already established rule, set up the item here etc but have all the buying go through ebay (or craigslist to a lesser extent) (Yes I know it says in the rules not to so I won't do this if it is against the rules but I am briging it up as I feel it would help a lot) that way it is through ebay which is better than nothing and then use paypal.

Also with the mention of paypal, what are your opinions on paypal 's customer service etc (the sites like paypalsucks.com that list some times when paypal was no your pal).

Edited by Zimmer

Guest Deleted_Account
One thing that would help with scams is well braking an already established rule, set up the item here etc but have all the buying go through ebay (or craigslist to a lesser extent) (Yes I know it says in the rules not to so I won't do this if it is against the rules but I am brining it up with my opinion on it) that way it is through ebay which is better than nothing and then use paypal.

Also with the mention of paypal, what are your opinions on paypal 's customer service etc (the sites like paypalsucks.com that list some times when paypal was no your pal).

I use paypal and never had a problem with customer service EVER. I have needed to dispute 1 or 2 things before and all went through within 72 hours. However let it be said no one is perfect and just because i have always had good experience doesn't mean the next person will. Also, no offence to anyone affiliated with the site, but sites like that are generally one-sided and extremely BIAS. I would trust opinions on known sites. Again Paypal isn't perfect and some one may have problems but i'm not one of them so all i can offer is my opinion which is PayPal gets the job done.

Now that said i also only use pre-paid CC's on it.

It all comes down to this, I've avoided pushing trading on the forums as I wasn't sure of US laws and I honestly cannot be fucked to deal with problems such as items being mis-sold, not arriving etc. However I've never had a problem with personal sales etc between forum members done via PM's etc. So consider this as a Google style beta experiment, if it works out OK then we'll refine the rules over time and hope for the best. If it causes problems, the entire thing will be deleted and I will pretend it never happened.

As for the sales themselves, I do want to avoid eBay spamming etc but if people want eBay we might allow it for established forum members or something similar, I don't know yet. Its all new territory hence the beta status.

If offers are allowed, it should be a rule that the seller say if they have it advertised elsewhere.

If it's the type of item/product that would sell here, maybe try here before the local paper for example. If I advertise here and someone likes it, and I post saying "Oh I sold it to my neighbour yesterday". If they give a great offer fair enough. But I mean more like other auction sites.

If it's a respected member of the forums, trust that the item exists and works. If they don't, link to ebay or something with or best offer.

Just an idea.

for invite only auctions on ebay just make it a bunch of garbage, finding stuff is based on search, so if you can find it, it might as well be invite only, course that would limit bidders and be counter intuitive

Also for the old junk I have a 10 year old laptop (192 mb ram (or is it 128 I can't remember) 500 mhz proc, integrated vid (runs win 2k and xubuntu fine but the lcd is acting up (it whites out weird) ) is that what you mean by junk? I'll take buyers :)

Edited by Zimmer

i have an oki900 phone with accessories and user manual. two radioshack tone dialers with the crystal mod to make them redbox's. a rotary dial line mans handset. a bunch of 2600 magazines from the FREE KEVIN era.

i dont know if i wanna get rid of them though. but ill consider any offers. id rather trade then get money cause i dont know what there worth.

p.s. if you dont know what any of that stuff is your too young.

OK, rules. Each block of items your selling has to be in a new topic, with details of each item, photos and your starting price. You can decide if you want to take the first offer, or take bids. When item is sold, you must edit the post to indicate it. No gazumping.

"Gazumping" is the refusal to formalise a property sale agreement at the last minute, usually in order to accept a higher offer.

In layman's terms, its agreeing to sell some hi-tech widget for £100 to someone, but just before the money switches hands turning around and going "Billy Bob just offered me £110, deals off". I can't enforce this, but its an easy way to piss people off.

Sorry I wasn't trying to post an item to sell (I don't think anyone would buy or what I would set as the starting price would be, if you want you can make an offer but I was just trying to point out that some old junk you don't want).

• 6 months later...