Stereo Out Server To Android Over Wifi

moocow1452

Edit: If you reviewed this topic earlier, I got it right!

What I did was set up a stream with VLC streaming over HTTP with a Transcode of "Stereo Out" to MP3. (If you don't got one, you could male to male from the headphone jack into the Microphone, and set it to Mic in.) Set it to stream to local ip on port 8080/listen, and let her go, hopefully without local playback. Next, download StreamFurious (or another internet radio app) on your Android, and back on the computer, make a new .txt with the only line of text being "http:[localip]:8080/listen," name it "listen.m3u," and get that to the SD card of your Android phone. Finally, using a file manager of your choice, open the .m3u with StreamFurious, and let it cook for about 20 seconds. Wireless headphones are a go!

It's nowhere near real time, but if you want to stream audio from the computer while doing laundry or walking around the house, you have a solution. It works for me, since I use Miro as a podcatcher, and I cannot constantly sync podcasts without it getting annoying. Now to deal with the DHCP dilemma...

EDIT: And now it spontaneously cuts out after a while. Still no idea why.

Edited by Librenaut

Edit: If you reviewed this topic earlier, I got it right!

What I did was set up a stream with VLC streaming over HTTP with a Transcode of "Stereo Out" to MP3. (If you don't got one, you could male to male from the headphone jack into the Microphone, and set it to Mic in.) Set it to stream to local ip on port 8080/listen, and let her go, hopefully without local playback. Next, download StreamFurious (or another internet radio app) on your Android, and back on the computer, make a new .txt with the only line of text being "http:[localip]:8080/listen," name it "listen.m3u," and get that to the SD card of your Android phone. Finally, using a file manager of your choice, open the .m3u with StreamFurious, and let it cook for about 20 seconds. Wireless headphones are a go!

It's nowhere near real time, but if you want to stream audio from the computer while doing laundry or walking around the house, you have a solution. It works for me, since I use Miro as a podcatcher, and I cannot constantly sync podcasts without it getting annoying. Now to deal with the DHCP dilemma...

EDIT: And now it spontaneously cuts out after a while. Still no idea why.

If I understand you correctly, you are streaming music from your desktop/laptop to your android phone, right?

I'm doing this as well by using 2 programs:

Server-side: Subsonic (available for Windows, Linux, etc)

Client-side: Subsonic Music Streamer (available from the market)

Both are free!

dimaj

I use vibestreamer to stream music files from my computer to over the internet. It supports the following audio formats

.MP3 and WMA

Since it works directly from a web interface, all you need is to point your web browser to the server ip address that, the vibe streamer is running on. That good thing about Vibe is that it requires no client side software to be installed.

Just select the audio you want to hear and it will play for you.

Edit: And by the way, it works on both platforms Windows and Linux.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 3 weeks later...

More than just streaming the MP3's themselves. The plan was to do something along the line of Airphones, where I can start something off the computer, then just open the webstream and be able to continue listening while doing something off the computer. Not to mention, it streams all audio that goes through the sound card, not just any specific file in any specific order.

I'll try it with a DNS, then get back to you guys.

• 5 weeks later...

Back, and after revisiting this project with a DNS and an open port, the range has extended outside of the initial wifi zone and to the Greater Internet. Better, not having the router do all the work killed the buffering problem, and it works for at least a half an hour. no sweat. The problem is that it is a minute after live on the broadcast, but that's no problem if you're out and about. So, I dub this project a success, but wonder if something similar could be done through VOIP to mobile, provided you have enough minutes going to waste...