Good Netbook Recommendations?

okiwan

im new to the whole netbook thing. what are some good netbooks out there no more then $300? Iv been reading reviews on these HP 210 an ones like it an people complain about the trackpad sucking. i read some posts that said certain apps wont even fit on the screen. i find that hard to believe. i do plan on running linux on it if thats a factor.

i expect it to be kinda slow i guess, but i want it as a hacktop so its not like ill be running large apps or anything.

what kind of netbook does darren run?

im also lookin at this sony vio m-series thats got a 250gb HD.

or the Toshiba NB255 looks kinda nice too.

Guest Deleted_Account

I would say the acer aspire one although it's technically a hybrid but with 160GB drive 1 GB of ram and an intel atom it runs pretty well. I mean i use it for windows 7 Ultimate AND Run Virtual Machines! I mean i have ran a windows XP and BT4 machine at the same time which is impressive for a netbook. BT4/ubuntu/fedora all run beautifully on it as my dual boot os is Ubuntu 10.04. Hope it helps.

PS. I was just at the source (Canada) and Acer Aspire ones where 299$

Guest Deleted_Account
thanks. ya those are the stats most netbooks seem to have. how is the over netbook itself? track pad, keyboard, screen etc.... any complaints about anything?

edit: thanks for the recommendation. this one is looking sexy. got good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO532h-2588-10-...7477&sr=1-1

I have the D250 so its 6 months older but it has 6 hours of battery life which is great and still hasn't lost any time yet. Track pad is great sadly windows 7 doesn't like the multi touch but it is probably fixed in this newer model keyboard is great screen is okay i mean Watching HD is great except the graphics card seems slugish how ever most HD vidoes play fine. Only complaint is that the track pad can be annoying sometimes.

awesome. ya thats what i hear about allot of netbooks people complaining about the trackpad. but this one some one said its good in the reviews. so i think im gonna go with this one. plus i can get it with 2gb of memory. an the battery life is impressive.

Guest Deleted_Account

Yeah and as far as the track pad goes it's not bad but the drivers for windows kind of suck so I am using the generic ones (which dont support scrolling BTW :angry: )

Ok the question I have to ask; Why do you want a netbook?

Cheap? Look at craigslist and ebay (heck a macbook you can get for 400$ (or a little more depends) and probably others for cheaper)

Light? Well then I guess hard to beat but you do loose screen size but look at 13.3 inch laptops

This is not a netbook but a laptop, it comes with enough juice to power a few VMs and a lot more.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/138466/NOTEBOO...-FHD-SZ152X.asp

Ok the question I have to ask; Why do you want a netbook?

Cheap? Look at craigslist and ebay (heck a macbook you can get for 400$ (or a little more depends) and probably others for cheaper)

Light? Well then I guess hard to beat but you do loose screen size but look at 13.3 inch laptops

i want one cause

A: there cheap...also i dont really want something used.

B: there very portable being so small

C: i dont want to carry around my $2000 laptop everywhere. its very dear to me. its the most expensive thing i own besides my car.

i have a macbook pro. an war driving with it is not fun. when i stop the car i have to move my seat back just to get it on my lap. and my seat rails are messed up so its hard to move it around.

@infiltrator. LMAO ya thats a bit out of my price range.

Edited by okiwan

sorry, most of the views were from me... I had a problem with my phone's browser not saving cookies so each time I tried to post I was logged out. anyways, here it finally is:

go with asus. They were the original netbook provider, and IMO, the best. Especially for wifi shennanigans, as they all come with an atheros based chipset. My eee pc 701 4GB surf is still running great. As long as you have a 9" screen or larger,you really won't find any apications that don't fit on the screen. You can view tours of their models at asus.com, and buy them from newegg

+1 for asus netbooks. I've been using a 1005HA for about 6-7 months and I really like it, even if the screen could be a bit bigger.

What's the battery run time on one of those?

my first gen eee pc 701 was purchased 3/17/2008, and currently runs for 4 hours. The newer ones are more efficient and use lithium polymer batteries instead of li-ion which mine has.

On the website, the eee pc S101, which is their slimmest netbook is specced at 5.4 hrs with XP, while the 1001PX clocks in at 9+ hrs.

Of course, if you are into hacking, you can pick up some of your own lithium polymer backs and wire them up to create a super cheap and incredibly long lasting netbook. I did this for a friend's laptop that had a 1.5hr runtime, and with a 5000mAh battery, got him to 4 hours.

This battery, while overkill(100A constant discharge rate), is only $20, and with some wiring know-how will let a netbook run for days!

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_vi...?idProduct=9172

T5000-2-20.jpg

Edited by eovnu87435ds

^^ that is awesome.

hopefully this wednesday ill be getting my netbook. either going with the acer or the asus. which ever one i can find in a store. went to sams club today cause there website said they have the acer but the store didnt have them. only an HP. a dell and a sony. the best buy website says they carry the asus so im checking there next.

:wub: :wub: :wub: i got my netbook! im so excited. i got the eee pc 1005HAB and an extra GB of ram. its blue and soft. well...i havnt even turned it on yet...about to put back track on a usb an install it.

edit: 1005HA....big battery. :)

Edited by okiwan

my first gen eee pc 701 was purchased 3/17/2008, and currently runs for 4 hours. The newer ones are more efficient and use lithium polymer batteries instead of li-ion which mine has.

On the website, the eee pc S101, which is their slimmest netbook is specced at 5.4 hrs with XP, while the 1001PX clocks in at 9+ hrs.

Of course, if you are into hacking, you can pick up some of your own lithium polymer backs and wire them up to create a super cheap and incredibly long lasting netbook. I did this for a friend's laptop that had a 1.5hr runtime, and with a 5000mAh battery, got him to 4 hours.

This battery, while overkill(100A constant discharge rate), is only $20, and with some wiring know-how will let a netbook run for days!

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_vi...?idProduct=9172

T5000-2-20.jpg

And it doesn't affect the computer memory or any other components, due to the fact that it not a manufactures approved battery.

:wub: :wub: :wub: i got my netbook! im so excited. i got the eee pc 1005HAB and an extra GB of ram. its blue and soft. well...i havnt even turned it on yet...about to put back track on a usb an install it.

edit: 1005HA....big battery. :)

Hey, grats on your new machine! I just picked up an Eee 900 on CL for $150 w/ an included external HP Dual-layer burner. I got rid of XP (what a slug!) and threw on the Easy Peasy Ubuntu distro. BackTrack 4 going onto an ext4-formatted SDHC today when I get time.

Battery lasts long enough, but I'll certainly be looking into an larger one. I'm definitely happy with my purchase. I have a 13" black macbook, and while that's certainly portable enough, there's really nothing more satisfying than toting around this little feller. Powerful enough for what I wanted it for, and light enough to not even notice it when it's in my bag with a book or two.

Edited by kaervek

There's really no reason to mess with your laptop while wardriving.

so your telling me you dont touch the laptop once the entire time? you dont ever wanna stop an connect to some one? you dont wanna see how may AP's you picked up? come on.

so your telling me you dont touch the laptop once the entire time? you dont ever wanna stop an connect to some one? you dont wanna see how may AP's you picked up? come on.

Well in all fairness, once you've connected to a WAP unsolicited, open or not, you've stopped wardriving and started committing crimes. And nobody here wants to commit crimes. Right?

:)

Edited by kaervek

Every now and then you can find a 10 inch eeepc refurb for $200, I've seen as low as $175 or so actually. Hard to find the deal but it keeps popping up on deal sites every now and then.

I can't find anything active right now but this one has a notify me

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.as...riteria=AA97999

Here is a 12.1 refurb for 240

http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-1201hab-rblk0.../216062588.html

And if you want to go really cheap check this out: $140

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch_v3.as.../%208.9%20WSVGA

Edited by 5ive