Backtrack 4 Gui Customization

The Sorrow

Its linux, anything is possible. Customize it any way you like. Also, there are other shells besides KDE. I think there is fluxbox and another one in there already.

BT4 is based off of Ubuntu and KDE. It's not really ment for a "fancy looking" OS. It's to serve a purpose.

Kind of like command line programs, Yeah you don't have a pretty GUI but it still does what it needs to do.

Coding up GUI is just extra programming. Blame it on laziness, lack of GUI creativity, or leetsauce :P lol.

I kind like Backtrack logo so much, that I am getting an in-printed backtrack logo on a hoddie. It should cost me around $80 dollars.

heh wow ok nvm. apparently when you change to gnome it loses the menus to all the tools on BT4

Yeah, thats one of the drawbacks, same for FluxBox, you have to add all the menu items, tools are still there, just not the shortcuts.

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/back...tion-howto.html

Warning, following the full steps replaces KDE with Fluxbox, so know how to change it back if you want startx to bring up KDE.

Well yeah... If you change your desktop environment you will lose things that are not standard. That doesn't mean you cannot add the shortcuts or 'launchers' yourself.

If you're using BT as your main OS then just do it when you need something, if not... Who cares what it looks like. It's functional.