Alpha 500 Which One To Get?

okiwan

http://www.data-alliance.net/Categories.bok?cart_id=942889

so im debating as cash is tight cause im getting a pineapple too.

is there a big difference between the two? is it worth the extra few dollars?

i could afford the more expensive model but i wanted to get an extended antenna as well an wont be able to afford that if i get that model.

Alfa 500mW 802.11n/g/a/b Wireless-N USB adapter w/ RP-SMA Jack & Antenna. 2.4 & 5.8GHz

Wireless-N (802.11n/a/g/b. MIMO technology. Upgraded version of AWUS050NH with better receive sensitivity

PRICE: $37.99

Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW Best Long Range USB Wireless Adapter. 802.11N/G/B. w/Jack & Antenna Alfa AWUS036NH 2000mW Best Long Range USB Wireless Adapter. 802.11N/G/B. w/Jack & Antenna

Best long-distance USB wireless / WiFi adapter available: This is the latest/best model from Alfa and has longer range than Alfa's AWUS036H model.

PRICE: $32.95

thanks.

from wiki

"Wi-Fi in the 2.4 GHz frequency block has slightly better range than Wi-Fi in the 5 GHz frequency block"

so how is having that an advantage?

an correct me if im wrong but isnt the 5GHz only used outside of the US? cause im in the US.

Edited by okiwan

5GHz can, in theory, carry more data, it has twice the bandwidth per channel and twice as many channels when compared to 2.4GHz wifi. The 5GHz band is also much less polluted resulting in less inteference, whereas 2.4GHz wifi has to compete with many, many other types of signal such as bluetooth and wireless video transcievers.

Edit: Both 802.11a and 802.11n use, or can use, the 5GHz band, both of which are in use in the USA. Here is a table stating which channels are available for the use of 5GHz wifi across the world, including the USA.

Edited by moonlit

well every thing is on its way. i ordered the more expensive model and the antenna an of course the pineapple.

what would you say is the range on a 9dbi omni directional antenna?

i got this one to be specific but it seems like a universal antenna sold every where.

http://www.data-alliance.net/Detail.bok?no=63

Edited by okiwan

AWUS051NH supports 5GHz and AWUS036NH does not. The former also comes with a suction mount and laptop clip.

Just out of curiosity, how well will AWUS051NH work with backtrack4? I know from a fact that AWUS036NH seems to play nice with backtrack 4.