Windows 7, Putty And X11

Charles

Anyone else experience Putty crashing when forwarding X11 over SSH?

Putty works great for just normal SSH but it seems to crash on me quite frequently when I am trying to forward X11 to my local machine (running XMing). I haven't really used X11 forwarding on any machines other than ones running Win7 (x86 and x64 have the same problems), so I don't know if it's just that Putty doesn't like Win7 or what.

Anyone else experience problems with it? I've found it happens more often when I am trying to run a VM Window in Virtualbox over SSH, but it can happen if I launch any graphical app.

Any ideas?

Putty seems to crash a lot in general for me, both on XP and 7. More on 7 though. I think if too much data is going over it, it cant handle it, as in too much bandwidth, it seems to crash a lot more on me.

That could be it, I don't know. I was thinking about trying KiTTY, but I don't know. I just want something that won't go tits up on me when I am in the middle of doing something (and make me reinstall the VM, since it causes it to crash and be unable to start up again)

I have the same set up in my computers and believe it or not it's exactly doing the same thing, putty keeps on crashing.

Glad I am not alone. Heh.

The strange part is that it's Putty that crashes, not XMing. *shrug*

Try using Private Shell SSH Client

http://www.privateshell.com/

It also supports X11 Tunneling, which is what you are working with at the moment.

Thanks.

Did it work fine to you?

Have you ever tried FreeNX? It uses SSH and was somehting I used to replace VNC on my uBuntu box a while ago. MUCH faster and higher quality than say VNC or other RDP clients. I could administer my uBuntu box as if I was sitting at it and everything worked fine except video for obvious reasons, your bandwidth would suffer. If I remember correctly it also brought you remote audio as well, but this is just going from memory, havent used it in ages.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

I do remember setting it up was a bit of a pain, but thats partly because I was learning linux at the time while setting up freenx, ssh keys, etc. so might be simple for veteran linux users.

I've tried to use FreeNX, but I wasn't able to get it working for whatever reason. I don't really use a GUI on my server anymore, since I discovered I was able to forward X over SSH.

I tried to start a VM, which would crash putty, and it seemed to work ok with KiTTY.

I suppose time will tell if I got around the problem or not. :)

EDIT: Scratch that, KiTTY just decided to crash on me too. Meh. I think I'll just deal with the crashes when they happen. >.<

Edited by Charles

• 1 year later...

I know this is a bit old but I came across it in a google search. I was having the same issues with putty and xming and decided to give private shell a try and the only thing I miss that putty does is the tab auto complete on what your tying so you don't have to type everything out.