Zipit Z2 --> Serial Port

oxide54

Ok so we can run linux on the Z2.

We can add a serial port to it.

http://www.notanon.com/zipit/adding-a-seri...ter/2010/06/24/

From what I can see you can use the serial port to access the Z2,

but can we use the serial port and run minicom on the Z2 so that we could say configure switches and routers via the Z2. It would beat carrying a laptop round!

I know I could get a netbook and use that, but this would be way cheaper, lighter and I can't find any netbooks with serial ports so would have to get a USB to Serial adapter as well.

Yes. I run Mozzwalds ubuntu and it was already there (minicom). THe port is ttyS2 - and it works at least up to 115200 baud.

Already used this to fix a thought to be bricked Cisco 7960 phone. Only needed my console cable and to open minicom to watch to see that the tftp server didn't have a needed file. I actually could have done cat /dev/ttyS2 but I wanted to be sure of the baud rate.

You DO need a level shifter of some sort. It isn't a real UART, its just direct to the PXA CPU's serial pins, so you might want something with a touch of isolation too. FYI: its a TTL level 232 port, so you need a ttl - real 232 level shifter. A couple folks have done one up inside the case of the zipit. Mine is a bit kludgy but it works for me and I don't care what it looks like. (its a full DB-9 sticking out of the side of the case.)

Ok so we can run linux on the Z2.

We can add a serial port to it.

http://www.notanon.com/zipit/adding-a-seri...ter/2010/06/24/

From what I can see you can use the serial port to access the Z2,

but can we use the serial port and run minicom on the Z2 so that we could say configure switches and routers via the Z2. It would beat carrying a laptop round!

I know I could get a netbook and use that, but this would be way cheaper, lighter and I can't find any netbooks with serial ports so would have to get a USB to Serial adapter as well.