Windows Base Phone

deadinside

I've an old HTC Tytn II that I could do a segment on for flashing, it's not that hard overall.

However that being said windows phones at this point (bar the new 7 ones that are not out yet) are very old hat and not used by many people who would perhaps watch hak5. Most are now on Android based phones, or jailbroken iphones.

I've an old HTC Tytn II that I could do a segment on for flashing, it's not that hard overall.

However that being said windows phones at this point (bar the new 7 ones that are not out yet) are very old hat and not used by many people who would perhaps watch hak5. Most are now on Android based phones, or jailbroken iphones.

I dunno if I'd like to hazard a guess at what kinds of phones people around here actually have, but I'd say Windows Mobile 6, however old it seems now, is still a very good operating system for people who wish to really use their phone. No need to root it or anything, it's just open to whatever you wanna do with it. There are all sorts of apps and tools which, even today in the world of Android and iPhone, are very very good. It feels like a mini computer, which is both its strength and its downfall. In my mind, the UI is the only thing that prevents it from being a competing OS (but with that said, a lot of people do still use it, despite arguments to the contrary).

I also have a TyTn II, it's slightly underpowered despite being only 3 years old, but it has all the features I expect from a smartphone; wifi, bluetooth, gps, a touchscreen (which isn't huge, but it's reasonable large), and the ability to easily develop for it. Speaking of development, if you have any experience with Visual Studio, developing for WM6 is as easy as pie. I don't think Windows Phone 7, at least when it first arrives, will be that power-user-friendly, it seems very much more iPhoneish, but if anything can be done about that then I'm sure xda-devs will certainly be right on the case and Microsoft have said that certain things will change over time. The iPhone started off as an overhyped featurephone and it's come a long way since, Windows Phone 7 has the potential to do the same.

As for the flashing idea, I sort of expect people who choose to manually flash their phones to be able to research it themselves given the potential for ending up with a brick, but I guess a walkthrough isn't necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of warnings might be wise.

It might be worthwhile to note that on some Windows Mobile phones you can run Android (natively, no emulation) from a microSD card without flashing, and for some phones you can even get flashable ROMs if you want something more perminant.

Using he same method (haret.exe) there's no reason you couldn't run any variation of Linux as long as it's compiled and configured appropriately for the target phone, such as an ARM version of Ubuntu which is floating about on XDA currently. Don't quote me, I'm not certain, but I imagine that it could be possible to run other OSs in a similar fashion, because Android when launched with haret basically shoves WiMo out of RAM and runs the Linux boot stuff. Just shoving any old ARM OS on there wouldn't work because it's not going to have any drivers or any idea how to talk to the hardware, but something like RISCOS 5 (which is open source) could work, given enough effort. There was also a leaked version of Blackberry Application Suite for Windows Mobile which essentially gives you the Blackberry OS on top of Windows Mobile, but unfortunately it seems impossible to make it work because it's not a full product and as such not at all supported by anyone, especially RIM.

As for the flashing idea, I sort of expect people who choose to manually flash their phones to be able to research it themselves given the potential for ending up with a brick, but I guess a walkthrough isn't necessarily a bad thing. Plenty of warnings might be wise.

In my experience, flashing ROMs varies with each model, (I had a XDA II, XDA Mini S, XDA Orbit, HTC Diamond over the years) and I never bricked any of them. I suppose if you follow the guides on the xda-developers forum you should be ok.

I should point out that I haven't been on those boards for a while due to the credit crunch.

I don't have a windows mobile phone anymore, and I'm stuck with this piece of crap:

2u43093.jpg

Edited by xtr3m3