Samsung Tv Wifi

NegativeSpace

I have a 52" Samsung LCD that has all of those cool network features like DLnA all kinds of other services for RSS stock tickers and whatnot. The wireless adapter plugs into a USB port on the TV, which can be only be bought from Samsung. What I'm trying to figure out, is if this Samsung wireless adapter is a proprietary device, or if a regular USB 802.11G adapter will work. I haven't been able to find much good info on any of Samsungs support resources, which isn't surprising since they want me to buy their adapter and not one from somewhere else. Does anyone know anything about this? I don't know of any reason why a regular usb 802.11G adapter wouldn't work, other than that maybe the TV has software that identifies the MAC address of the adapter that you plug in to make sure it's the official Samsung product. Any ideas?

It's more likely that all you need to do is find an adapter with the same chipset so the TV knows how to use the adapter.

It is possible that Samsung made the TV so that the TV will only allow the use of devices with a specific USB vendor ID. This currently cannot be circumvented if it is the case. This is unlikely to be the case however, as it is more work for the TV manufacturer to do at very little benefit gain.

Do you have a cat5 jack on the tv?

If so I'd setup a router (my personal choice the WRT54G) and set it up to receive the wireless signal in your house and send it over its lan....

As far as the tvs concerned it'd think you just hooked it directly into the net.

Do you have a cat5 jack on the tv?

If so I'd setup a router (my personal choice the WRT54G) and set it up to receive the wireless signal in your house and send it over its lan....

As far as the tvs concerned it'd think you just hooked it directly into the net.

In fact, the TV does have a CAT5 jack. I hadn't considered using a WiFi router, though that might be more expensive than simply buying the Samsung equipment, but it would also be a whole lot cooler.

I'm not exactly sure about how that would work? What is involved in networking two wireless routers? As for encryption, would I just have to physically connect the router to the TV, turn off encryption to set up the router to use encryption, and then turn the encryption back on? Would I just use the routers IP address to manage it remotely? Would I use some kind of mixed AD-HOC / AP

Also, could I use the TV's router as a repeating station for Wifi? I have only just started to learn about WiFi repeating and adapter virtualization and other such disciplines.

Any suggestions for other equipment that I could use, local to that router, that would be cool and fun (even if possibly warranty voiding)?

It's more likely that all you need to do is find an adapter with the same chipset so the TV knows how to use the adapter.

It is possible that Samsung made the TV so that the TV will only allow the use of devices with a specific USB vendor ID. This currently cannot be circumvented if it is the case. This is unlikely to be the case however, as it is more work for the TV manufacturer to do at very little benefit gain.

Any idea on how to find out who made the chipset in the Samsung Adapter? I would guess that Samsung made those chips, though it would probably make more business sense to outsource something like that to a smaller company, considering the probably relatively low number of those adapters they would sell (unless, of course, the chipsets are generic).

Any idea on how to find out who made the chipset in the Samsung Adapter? I would guess that Samsung made those chips, though it would probably make more business sense to outsource something like that to a smaller company, considering the probably relatively low number of those adapters they would sell (unless, of course, the chipsets are generic).

If someone could find the FCC ID for the samsung wifi adapter then you could see the inside of it and find out the chipset.