Securing Ipod Touch Browsing

Brennan U.

Hello all. I have recently purchased an iPod touch which I have been using to browse the web at home and at public hotspots. I currently have a PPTP VPN setup at home that I wouldn't mind using to secure my connection, but for some reason I cannot connect to it from the iPod at certain hotspots. Any ideas what might be causing these problems and/or are there other ways of securing my browsing from the iPod. By the way I have not jailbroken my iPod, and I am not sure I want to at this time.

Thanks,

Brennan

Could it be that the hotspots are blocking port 1723?

I suppose that could very well be the case. What would be my best solution knowing this port can be blocked? Are the risks truly that great at a hotspot for basic email browsing? I cannot imagine that many people have a wifi pineapple.

Edited by Brennan U.

I suppose that could very well be the case. What would be my best solution knowing this port can be blocked? Are the risks truly that great at a hotspot for basic email browsing? I cannot imagine that many people have a wifi pineapple.

Normally ports 80 and 443 are not blocked by most hotspots. But the problem at hand is that by design PPTP won't allow you to change its default port.

So if that's really the case, that the hotspot is blocking it. You have two options, use Spipe I would recommend reading up on that to get a general idea of it does.

Or use OpenVPN since it does allow its port to be changed.

The only non-jailbreak options I can think of is a web proxy over HTTPS.

Yeah I was referring to that option. Since I don't know whether the OP will want to jail break his Ipod or not.

I will look into these options. I have not done alot of research about jailbreaking, but I am a little hesitant to do anything that puts my $300 piece of new technology at risk.

I would love to have OpenVPN setup for netbook access as well, but I am currently running my PPTP server on my Linksys router. I know it has OpenVPN capabilities but I haven't found a good tutorial to help me get that setup. Additionally, most tutorials suggest that the configuration file can be big enough to brick the router, which is obviously something else I don't want to do.

Edited by Brennan U.