Closure

moonlit

To add to all this, I have to say I started watching @ - ep.1 season 3. I guess you could say I was one of those 'revision3 people' but never heard of hak5 until then.

Heck, I never knew anything of hacking until this show. I knew a lot about computers, and that was about it. The closest to any 'hack' that I knew was pirating music. No one I knew had any knowledge of anything so I basically taught myself whatever. My only real resource was books and the original call for help w/Leo and Kate in the ZDTV days. This was like my coming back to that time where I could learn something really awesome at every viewing, and that is what really drew me into the show.

It was originally the taboo of hacking that really got me wanting to learn more. To this day even though I know about things such as arp poisioning, mac spoofing, rainbow tables, and etc. I have never used this knowledge against anyone, but before then the only thing I knew about hacking/cracking/etc. was just that it was possible.

As far as the whole IRC thing, I think I know where both sides are coming from. Folks from the original IRC felt that Darren grew apart from THAT community and that he basically abandoned them in the whole foresight of making money and fame from the show and taking credit on the backs of others. Call it what you will, but regardless of how many ideas they may have contributed or have been contributed here, it's still Darren's show. He can do with it what he wills.

I have started growing away from the show myself, and the reason why is because Darren seems to be stopping, reversing back a season or so, and dragging anchor on some upper level projects and not the lower level ones we are used to. I also am sure that he will end up going forward again once he feels the target audience is educated enough to understand the rest of the story.

We all have lives and things to do day to day. Moonlit, regardless of your modesty you have done a great job at I am sure to the expense of extended periods of your own time and we are all very thankful *and VaKo and Sparda as well*.

One last thing.. Was there not at one point a moderator of the forums that had a falling out? I can't seem to remember who but it seemed there was a little bit of chaos at one point and he got banned... Or maybe that was another user? Oh well..

Edited by h3%5kr3w

Whilst not very prominent, I have been around a fair while and I did hold off on joning the forums when I watched the latest released episode (Season 1 episode).

I remember some things slightly different but it certainly was a good read, and did remind me times I quite enjoyed. (I made more than one douchebag rage quit IRC and then watch them try to haXXor me)

I guess the only real positive influence I have had here that I am proud of ws getting the Business and Enterprise IT for those us of working in Enterprise environments (Thanks again Vako)

A few times I've ranted about the "good old days", but something this dynamic is hard to keep on a singular track. Many decisions I have disagreed with, and was pretty cut when Harrison left, because I always like his approach on camera.

Will it ever be the same? No way.

Will it ever be as good? Maybe one day.

Do I regret joining the community? Never.

Edited by wh1t3 and n3rdy

Hey guys,

I've been around for a while and started watching the show since season two but I can't say I've been an intensely active member in the forums or irc circles.

I probably tend to lurk a bit more than most and I only ever post when I think it may make a difference or to asked something if I can't find out myself.

I've always felt that I wouldn't be good enough or know enough to be an active community member, so I've always shyed away from putting my hand up or trying to contribute.

I mean, what do I know or what can I do that people might find interesting?

A feeling that's probably shared by a lot of fringe dwelling fans out there.

I loved the early seasons of the show that seemed to have a better balance of software and hardware, knowledge and goofs and yes admittedly the odd hacker tool that was a bit script kiddie. ( i think that its important to throw this kinda of thing occasionally because for me it makes me want to learn more about how canned tools work, but thats me)

People keep echoing that the show can never stay the same and that everyone evolves and things won't be the same and I believe most intelligent people get that totally.

I do think there can be one constant that can be kept from season to season and I believe that constant is quality.

Quality in information, knowledge and intent. I reckon if the show continues to deliver quality in it's production, information and it's focus on imparting useful knowledge, it'll continue just fine. Regardless of what kind of bullshit and politics that we as humans find ourselves dribbling.

Anyways...that's my bit. I'll be lurking around in a good way and I'll try and drop in to irc and say Hi a bit more...although I'm not sure which is the right irc anymore. :)

what I find interesting is that Darren hasn't commented on this yet, its been over a week now. :(

Being a bit under the radar, unless someone points him at this thread, it may just go unnoticed.

Most of the points raised in this article and thread have been raised at one time or another. Darren is hardly going to be thrilled about viewers passing around nude photos of Snubs. Wess, Harrison and Jonathon all did posts on the forums stating why they chose to leave so there is probably not any real reason for Darren to address that either.

he thing we all have to deal with in reality is it's their show, and they can take it in any direction they choose to. I dont have any personal grudges against them myself. I have always thought that Snubs was on the show because she was Darrens gf, not because she particularly offered anything to the show on a technical level, which I still feel is the case.

For a long while their I also thought the content level was very poor, season 3 was a nightmare. Whilst I had my own objections against the revision 3 decision, they have certainly improved and I am pretty thankful for weekly episodes, which would be a pretty full on task.

I hope Darren offers some insight on his views on what was written, and that we don't act like douchebags and jump all over him because he disagrees with some of the things written. A community this large and dynamic is bound to have shit like this happen, combine that with the internet, the invariable dicks this scene can attract and people just out to be retards and you know for sure it's going to be on.

You have to credit the fact they have stuck with it for 5 years and whilst some things shit me off, I am glad they have and if it really is that bad people have the option to fuck off and do something else.