Zipit Image Woes

aloishis89

So I hacked my zipit a while ago and go everything working. I wanted to try out the SideTrack userland, but I'm having trouble getting it to boot. I have the bootloader screen when you turn on the zipit (the weird penguin thing) but I can't get it to go any further. I tried using ubuntu image writer under linux mint to write the img to my 4 gig micro sd card, but no luck. I also tried writing it under windows with Win32DiskImager, which didn't work, so then I tried again and expanded the ext3 partition to fill the entire disk like it's suggested to do on IronGeek's site to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of me getting an image written correctly and not that I've somehow bricked my zipit right?

• 3 weeks later...
So I hacked my zipit a while ago and go everything working. I wanted to try out the SideTrack userland, but I'm having trouble getting it to boot. I have the bootloader screen when you turn on the zipit (the weird penguin thing) but I can't get it to go any further. I tried using ubuntu image writer under linux mint to write the img to my 4 gig micro sd card, but no luck. I also tried writing it under windows with Win32DiskImager, which didn't work, so then I tried again and expanded the ext3 partition to fill the entire disk like it's suggested to do on IronGeek's site to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of me getting an image written correctly and not that I've somehow bricked my zipit right?

That you get the penguin indicates that you have caused no damage.

Are you able to read the ext3 disk on any other PC? (use a Linux variant and mount the sucker).

Try using dd (carefully) the windows stuff is dodgy at best.

• 1 month later...

same problem here. I can't even get the original aliosa27 user land to boot. 2 gig flash using

dd if=file.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Then I eject the disk and throw it in the zipit, turn it on, and the LED for flash activity gives the impression that it's booting... then nothing.

EDIT: Update - this is what gparted tells me. Doesn't make much sense. Never had this problem before, and it's definately a 2 gig flash.

0af2dd3d870d5b3459bd79f0cc040.png

Grr. I'll try the 1 gig image. I wrote the above disc with

sudo dd if=debianZ2-diskimage-2G.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512K

Update 2: I was curious to find this in the image file:

redxine@redxine-laptop:~/Desktop$ tail debianZ2-diskimage-2G.img 

to:

gspi8686.bin
 gspi8686_hlp.bin

And you should be good to go.

I guess it untarred incorrectly. I'll try again.

Edit: fixed it with some magic voodoo. No idea what did it, it just boot fine suddenly.

Here's a new question: I've noticed that whenever it's not connected to wireless, that startx is really slow. I have to press Ctrl+C after getting "Host name lookup failure" to get it to start. And the clock resets at every boot. Any suggestions?

Edited by redxine