Ibm Bladecenter 8677 Power Module

proskater123

Ok So i feel stupid not being able to figure this out. I have bought an IBM bladecenter 8677

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/b...oduct_page.html

I have pretty much everything but it didn't come with a power cable. Its not a standard power cable either. here is the power Module that it uses.

http://vemaelectronics.net/2000W-IBM-Power..._source=froogle

So my question is what kind of power cable can I use to go from the back of the module to a standard ac outlet. I honestly dont' even know what to google. I have already googled Ibm Bladecenter Power cable.

Thanks for the help

According to this document, it just needs normal mains (240V 50Hz) power, make your own out of playdough and paper clips ;)

It's a IEC 320-C20 cable you are looking for (though strictly speaking, the IEC 320-C20 is just a connector).

Also, how many power supplies do you currently have in it? I ask because of errm:

Four 2000-watt power modules: 20 094 Btu/hour (5889 watts) [= 25AMP]

Four 2320-watt power modules: 23 672 Btu/hour (6938 watts)[= 29AMP]

Do you have the wiring to support this? As in, the power supplies probably want to be spread across at least two 16AMP breakers.

According to this document, it just needs normal mains (240V 50Hz) power, make your own out of playdough and paper clips ;)

It's a IEC 320-C20 cable you are looking for (though strictly speaking, the IEC 320-C20 is just a connector).

Also, how many power supplies do you currently have in it? I ask because of errm:

Do you have the wiring to support this? As in, the power supplies probably want to be spread across at least two 16AMP breakers.

Right now it has the bar min. power supplys. So only two.

I think they are intended to be plugged in to UPS', but most (if not all) UPS' have the IEC 320-C13 connectors.

If you are not connecting it to a UPS for now, get this (fucking expensive cable) and this and plug them into each other.

Alternatively, find a place you can buy just the IEC 320-C19 connectors, couple meters of 13AMP mains cable and a standard plug and make your own.

So I kinda rigger together my own wire, and found out it will not power with a standard 110 volt outlet. Sooo... I need a way to either convert 110 to 220, and still find a plug for it.

I actually found a cable online (finally)

http://www.ecrater.com/p/7097819/compaq-hi...able-340653-001

I just need to figure out a way to wire a 220 volt outlet for that cable. or actually two

Edited by proskater123

Unfortunately you are going to need a big inverter, each power supply can draw up to 1500W of power.

You could use a smaller inverter if you think you aren't going to run them to the max or to what ever level you think you can get away with, if you go over the inverters rating the least that will happen is the inverters fuse will blow, the worst that will happen is the inverter will burst in to flames.

Google turned up this: http://vct-electronics.amazonwebstore.com/...ce=GB&id=uk

It's big enough to cope with both power supplies simultaneously.

Unfortunately you are going to need a big inverter, each power supply can draw up to 1500W of power.

You could use a smaller inverter if you think you aren't going to run them to the max or to what ever level you think you can get away with, if you go over the inverters rating the least that will happen is the inverters fuse will blow, the worst that will happen is the inverter will burst in to flames.

Google turned up this: http://vct-electronics.amazonwebstore.com/...ce=GB&id=uk

It's big enough to cope with both power supplies simultaneously.

Sparda you are a god. And flames are always a plus! I was thinking about painting flames on the side of my server to make them go faster. :)

if he got it real cheap why not XD

Because as he's finding out, most blade server enclosures are wired for 220. Not many homes have more than one outlet wired 220, and it's usually in the laundry room. I guess electric stoves are 220 too, but who'd want a server running in the kitchen? I lucked out, my house used to be my dad's place, so the garage has three 220 outlets. Not that I have a blade center in my house, haven't found a good enough deal on one yet. ;)

Blade centre for home use is amazing; I tip my hat to you. We our fans spin up to 50% we can hear them from down the corridor, at 100% it’s unbearable, at least you know something’s wrong ;) it gives you a fairly good audio warning.

I ran a small HP DL140 rack server in my attic for some time, the noise of that was annoying enough.

Blade centre for home use is amazing; I tip my hat to you. We our fans spin up to 50% we can hear them from down the corridor, at 100% it’s unbearable, at least you know something’s wrong ;) it gives you a fairly good audio warning.

I ran a small HP DL140 rack server in my attic for some time, the noise of that was annoying enough.

My attic is currently well over 100F. I couldn't imagine getting a server to run up there.

I finally got it powered on today and i do agree. It is insanely loud at 100%. I only have two power modules so unless i have them both on the right side the fans spin up to 100%. I bought the blade center and 6 blades with the expansion bay for each one of them. I have two scsi drives for each blade and 8 gigs ram with each. I spent about 4 - 5 thousand on it.