How To Softmod Xbox Original

lud

hello

I have an xbox original and wish to softmod it for playing downloaded games, this is not an xbox 360. also would love to install a larger HD. any help/suggestions would be appreciated in getting this done. I intend to give this to a family in need.

Thanks Lud

my advise is using a copy of AUF 007 or mech asault with a memory card and a hacked gamesave , P.S I do hope thats homebrew games you mean as 'winners don't do warez' :-) to be fair the best mod for these is XBMC . to change the hard drive on a softmod , make sure you relock it with an original lock...

Edited by jobdone

How I did mine refrences to the xboxisozone.com tutorials. I

Advise signing up and paying the subscription for unlimited game downloads, it's definatly worth it.

I had my pc and xbox running at the same time, I turned xbox on, ripped a cd and played the music to unlock the hdd, hot swapped it back to the pc, unlocked it and installed xbmc. Job done.

I did eventually upgrade to a 400gb hdd. No hard mod at all.

Remember to lock your hdd before putting it back!

I did the hotswap trick, it works but not really the safest thing you could do.....

If you have no other options hotswap will work. The mp3 load worked for me with hotswap though I'm fairly good now and can get it on boot almost everytime.

If you do it that way you may need XBOX HDD Maker, I used it to replace my hard drive with a 320GB one after my intial softmod

BACKUP: your eeprom and bios!!!! You cant get those anywhere, they are locked to the hdd and your motherboard if you lose them you'll need a modchip.

I also did the hotswap softmod, since I didn't have any of the hackable games or a modified USB stick or memory card (or cable), it worked out just fine. You can theoretically kill either the XBOX, the HDD or your PC this way, but it's very unlikely, and I treated mine pretty rough having somehow managed to fail several times (bad tools, bad dashboards, etc) and it survived quite happily. It currently runs XBMC.

BACKUP: your eeprom and bios!!!! You cant get those anywhere, they are locked to the hdd and your motherboard if you lose them you'll need a modchip.

^QFE. Very important. Each HDD is locked specifically to its motherboard. Unless you back up this stuff, you have a big black brick if your drive fails, unless you feel like buying a modchip. You can easily do it after installing your new dashboard though, it's not at all tricky.

Fun little tip if you're going to hotswap, though, the XBOX has a floating ground, so earthing yourself on a grounded PC case and messing with the XBOX is a good way to get a shock, as I did several times. Still, keeps you alert and awake while you're modding...

Edited by moonlit