Small, Cheap, Portable, Hacking Device?

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

I am looking for a small cheap hacking device (not a tablet like in my last post). What i want is something like a PDA or tiny laptop. Preferably can fit in my pocket. It should run linux or at least have a Metasploit port. Anyone have any ideas on what i should look at? Price range is around $100-200.

N810, ebay has them for about $100. Runs proper Linux

Yeah bunch of guides out there for getting Metasploit running too. It also has host USB support.

old ipod touch. or iphone. jailbreak it =gold mine

They run metasploit really badly, its so slow and buggy its barely usable.

Edited by metatron

I'm looking for one aswell, so why start a new topic?

I don't want to spend too much, around 300€ /400$.

Love the Netbook idea, you know, portability and stuff like that but i aswell hate the low res screens and the low performance.

Something like the Lenovo S10 (the first one, which looks best imo) with higher res and so on would be great.

But i guess that's not how it is.

Anyway, i'm looking at the Motorola Droid right now.

Do you think it would perform well?

Would be awesome to be able to do some stuff with your phone.

Other opinions maybe?

Edited by KitteN

Guest Deleted_Account
N810, ebay has them for about $100. Runs proper Linux

Looks interesting I will have to look into it.

old ipod touch. or iphone. jailbreak it =gold mine

Ha i did that before pirini is a great sniffing tool. Sadly my friend droped it and my screen broke so no ipod touch for now :(

Get a netbook, I bought an Asus 900A for $130/free ship on ebay. The built in wifi-card supports packet injection with bt4. has a 4gb sshdd and allows booting from sd or usb.

I am looking for a small cheap hacking device (not a tablet like in my last post). What i want is something like a PDA or tiny laptop. Preferably can fit in my pocket. It should run linux or at least have a Metasploit port. Anyone have any ideas on what i should look at? Price range is around $100-200.

I have a nokia n900 which i use for pentesting and runs metasploit fine. Thats around the 400 dollar range currently but because of Nokia stepping on their dicks once again and ditching Maemo 5 OS for meego i suspect you will be able to pick up these things new cheaper in the coming months..

You can pick up a older nokia like an n800 and get metasploit running on that as well. I think they are around 200bucks..

Guest Deleted_Account
Get a netbook, I bought an Asus 900A for $130/free ship on ebay. The built in wifi-card supports packet injection with bt4. has a 4gb sshdd and allows booting from sd or usb.

Ha I just use my Acer Aspire One in that case :P and yes i love the atheros wireless card.

I have a nokia n900 which i use for pentesting and runs metasploit fine. Thats around the 400 dollar range currently but because of Nokia stepping on their dicks once again and ditching Maemo 5 OS for meego i suspect you will be able to pick up these things new cheaper in the coming months..

You can pick up a older nokia like an n800 and get metasploit running on that as well. I think they are around 200bucks..

I was looking into the n900 but everything i see says it is a smartphone? is there a wifi only version? or am i missing something? as for the 800/810 it looks promising. I did some digging on it and it looks easy as for as hacking/using metasploit goes.

So, if you had to decide between a Netbook or the N900, what would you go for?

(I know, you can't really compare the two but oh well.)

Edited by KitteN

So, if you had to decide between a Netbook or the N900, what would you go for?

(I know, you can't really compare the two but oh well.)

Well, Obviously i went with the n900 :)

I would just research the pros and cons of each device and make your decision accordingly.

Ultimately id love to have a lenovo x200 but those are too much..

This site has been around for awhile : http://www.dynamism.com/ has a nice selection of touchpad and portable solutions.. Just throwing that out there..

Well,

i was asking because yesterday i ordered a Lenovo S10-2, because i wanted something portable to have fun on the go.

Then i stumbled upon the N900 and was impressed and now i'm even more impressed by the open pandora.

Can't find a price though. :/ (Edit: 299... quite cheap. :) )

Isn't the display size an issue btw?

Anyway, the S10-2 will arrive today, so what would you do?

Keep it or ditch it for N900/Pandora and why?

Edited by KitteN

Anyway, the S10-2 will arrive today, so what would you do?

Keep it or ditch it for N900/Pandora and why?

In your case id probably stick with the lenovo :) The Original post was in regards to a nice pocket sized unit that would be able to run something like metasploit so maybe anything will do that will allow for injecting packets after making that choice results will vary methinks

Nokia N900, will run the new neopwn mobile Backtrack with packet injection, don't know if the 810 has the same chipset. There are plenty fakes about that run the debian OS< so should run BT fine. Don't know enough about the 810, but I imagine it is pretty well priced 2nd hand.