Hackable Linux Tablet? (cheap)

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

I am looking for a Hackable linux tablet nothing to special i only want the basics: Wifi, Bluetooth, Touchscreen (of course), something good for hacking and running airodump-ng and aircrack. I tried google but i don't like any of the results everthing is iPad this and iPad that now. The closest i found was the N900 or N800. I read an article about the N900 ( i think) running a version of metasploit that would allow the user to simply press 1 button and it would scan, attach, and exploit a network as well as dumping any documents it finds to the SD card/ memory.

I want this device for my Security Auditing company (We just started up!) and i thought this would be great for an easy quick assessment kinda like: Walk in to clients building turn on tablet start attack. If it finds anything do a more thorough analysis on computer with BT3/4 type deal.

Ideal price: $100-250 (as i said we just opened and budget is small right now.)

Thanks for any help,

x942

A good cheap tablet is the "eken m001" but unfortunately at the moment it is only android although people have managed to port things like metasploit over to android (e.g. here). Although it doesn't have bluetooth it can be hacked to have usb ports (by wiring an ipod connector to a usb hub) and so a usb bluetooth module can be plugged in.

Guest Deleted_Account
A good cheap tablet is the "eken m001" but unfortunately at the moment it is only android although people have managed to port things like metasploit over to android (e.g. here). Although it doesn't have bluetooth it can be hacked to have usb ports (by wiring an ipod connector to a usb hub) and so a usb bluetooth module can be plugged in.

Thanks, it looks interesting but the only place i can find to buy it is at DealExtreme Are these guys any good? Just want to be sure as ive never heard of them before. But this would be a viable route as i do not like to deal with ebay anymore.

Thanks again.

x942

Clarion MiND can be had for under $100 used, and under $200 new.

CPU type Intel Atom (Silverthorne)

CPU speed 800 Mhz

Graphics Intel GMA 500

OS Linux (Moblin core)

Display Size

4.8" 800 X 480

Display Type

Soft (Finger) Touch

RAM 512 MB

Flash 4 GB

Keyboard NO

Mouse Pointer NO

Battery capacity 6.3 (Wh)

Weight 323gm / 11.4 oz.

Size (w/h/d mm) 171/96/27 mm

Size (w/h/d inches) 6.7/3.8/1.1

Physical Interfaces

USB2.0

Micro SD slot

Mini-USB 2.0

Line-out / Headphone (3.5mm)

Wireless Interfaces

802.11b/g

BT2.0

If you want to run Backtrack, its doable (not sure if anyone has tired) . Stick with x86 if you want support.

That or pick up a cheap used tablet PC and just replace the Windows XP install.

Edited by metatron

Guest Deleted_Account
Clarion MiND can be had for under $100 used, and under $200 new.

If you want to run Backtrack, its doable (not sure if anyone has tired) . Stick with x86 if you want support.

That or pick up a cheap used tablet PC and just replace the Windows XP install.

Looks promising there is even a Ubuntu build for it. And theoretically any bootable flash drive should work from what i read on hackaday.com :) and as for a cheap tablet pc how cheap can you find them? cheapest i see is 300$?

EDIT: Also where can you buy a Clarion MiND? no one online or instore seems to carry it? at least in canada that is. Ill check amazon but the links i found were dead

Edited by x942

Looks promising there is even a Ubuntu build for it. And theoretically any bootable flash drive should work from what i read on hackaday.com :) and as for a cheap tablet pc how cheap can you find them? cheapest i see is 300$?

EDIT: Also where can you buy a Clarion MiND? no one online or instore seems to carry it? at least in canada that is. Ill check amazon but the links i found were dead

ebay

Guest Deleted_Account
I see both of these devices at amazon.

Could you link to the Clarion MiND? i can't find it says item unavailable. Also would a Zipit Z2 with Side-track be viable? and as a heads up non-touch screen devices could work too i guess as long as they are small and boot in a few seconds. Just something that would be nice to have so i dont have to wait for my laptop to load (BT4/3 running on an acer aspire one 1 GB ram and takes about 40 seconds to get to logon want something snappier for initial testings)

Guest Deleted_Account
I see both of these devices at amazon.

Could you link to the Clarion MiND? i can't find it says item unavailable. Also would a Zipit Z2 with Side-track be viable? and as a heads up non-touch screen devices could work too i guess as long as they are small and boot in a few seconds. Just something that would be nice to have so i dont have to wait for my laptop to load (BT4/3 running on an acer aspire one 1 GB ram and takes about 40 seconds to get to logon want something snappier for initial testings)

Q4 2010, H1 2011... There will be a truck load of tablets released in this period, everything from $100 Chinese tinker toys running Android/WinCE to $1000 devices running Windows 7. Basically when the iPad was released, everyone started designing there own competitors, so wait until they are out.

Here's the Clarion on Amazon, and here's the Eken. Are you using Amazon in the US? I have to say this device looks interesting. It's one of those mystery brands, but the price is right. I'm weary of it though, as some of them get bad reviews for being very slow, and there's no reviews for this one anywhere.

Guest Deleted_Account
Q4 2010, H1 2011... There will be a truck load of tablets released in this period, everything from $100 Chinese tinker toys running Android/WinCE to $1000 devices running Windows 7. Basically when the iPad was released, everyone started designing there own competitors, so wait until they are out.

That is a very good point and i agree. Personallly i don't understand nor trust these Chinese android tablet things too many bad reviews for me. and $1000 win 7 tablet? wow i'd rather pay $300 for something that ran linux sorry but its way cheaper just because it has linux VS windows.

Things like Acer travelmate tablets are cheap when looking at the old Centrino models. Their run XP and Linux with no issue, they make a really nice platform for things like the WiSPY.

Sounds interesting ill have to check into those.

Here's the Clarion on Amazon, and here's the Eken. Are you using Amazon in the US? I have to say this device looks interesting. It's one of those mystery brands, but the price is right. I'm weary of it though, as some of them get bad reviews for being very slow, and there's no reviews for this one anywhere.

Thanks for the links I was using Amazon Canada so the pricing was right for me :lol: apparently they aren't on the Canadian store.

Guest Deleted_Account
Meh, China makes everything so whatever you get, its gonna come from china. As for Linux vs Windows, its not so clear cut. Just because something runs Linux doesn't mean its great, look at the JooJoo pad for instance...

Good point but all these $100 tablets seem like vapor-ware more than anything. And agreed but it would (Usually) be cheaper plus i would take a nice Ubuntu tablet over windows any day. Now if there was the dual-boot option that would be amazing :) Kinda like this:

(Running Intel x86)

Boot up choice: Windows 7 or Back track 4 or Ubuntu 10.04 xD now that would be cool. Although someone would have to port the drives over especially for BT4.

edit: and as for the jojo it would be better running something else like Ubuntu or win 7 agreed

Edited by x942

I had an idea of keeping a pc in a backpack (being sure to have something to cool it) and use vnc to control your backtrack fun via an ipod touch or iphone. Just keep it running and allow your speedy ipod/phone let you in to get the job done. and to speed things more write a few batch scripts so you have less typing to do on the small touch screen.

I thought about using the zipit Z2 but I really don't see vnc support working out to well. I have the z2 just don't have my own wireless ap just yet to get online and test with.

EDIT

You might want to try NetTrack, its a small netbook remix of ubuntu I've been working on with all of backtracks wireless tools. It might just be "snappy" enough for you. It's in early stages but works quite well so far.

http://deauththis.com/?page_id=3&did=1

Edited by acer5050

I had an idea of keeping a pc in a backpack (being sure to have something to cool it) and use vnc to control your backtrack fun via an ipod touch or iphone. Just keep it running and allow your speedy ipod/phone let you in to get the job done. and to speed things more write a few batch scripts so you have less typing to do on the small touch screen.

I thought about using the zipit Z2 but I really don't see vnc support working out to well. I have the z2 just don't have my own wireless ap just yet to get online and test with.

EDIT

You might want to try NetTrack, its a small netbook remix of ubuntu I've been working on with all of backtracks wireless tools. It might just be "snappy" enough for you. It's in early stages but works quite well so far.

BackTrack runs just fine on netbooks. I don't see the point of adding the backtrack repo to Ubuntu. Most of the applications are compiled for the customized kernel. 90% of the apps in the standard Ubuntu repo will work just fine anyway. About the only thing I'll compile from source anymore is the Aircrack suite and Kismet.

Guest Deleted_Account
BackTrack runs just fine on netbooks. I don't see the point of adding the backtrack repo to Ubuntu. Most of the applications are compiled for the customized kernel. 90% of the apps in the standard Ubuntu repo will work just fine anyway. About the only thing I'll compile from source anymore is the Aircrack suite and Kismet.

I agree. I have never had any problem running BT or any linux for that mater on low amounts of RAM. Windows is the only OS i use that has any lag on </= 1GB of ram. BT on my Acer Aspire One runs beautifully while windows 7 has sluggish boot times (blame it on TC :P ) but runs welll after that.

EDIT

Flying Squirrel Linux looks okay if all you want are wireless tools