Install Ubuntu 10.04 Beside Windows 7 (help)

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

So i am moving to ubuntu 10.04 from fedora 12. This means i have already got my 10.04 alternative disk my problem is i already have windows 7 installed and encrypted with TC. Now i am going to go through installing as soon as the download finishes (1 hour or so) but just thought i'd post to see if any one could tell me if ubuntu will act nice and see the Encrypted windows partition and leave it alone. (fedora is LUKS encrypted btw).

Thanks,,

x942

Guest Deleted_Account
I haven't done an install with an encrypted Win7 install, but I can tell you that it should be fine in a dual boot configuration.

K i hope so lol i know ill have to reinstall the TC MBR but not sure if it will detect the partition right. Well i hope it does lol

thanks,

x942

@X942, I have found this very interesting faq from TrueCrypt website Fags

Will I be able to mount my TrueCrypt partition/container after I reinstall or upgrade the operating system?

Yes, TrueCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. However, you need to make sure your operating system installer does not format the partition where your TrueCrypt volume resides.

Note: If the system partition/drive is encrypted and you want to reinstall or upgrade Windows, you need to decrypt it first (select System > Permanently Decrypt System Partition/Drive). However, a running operating system can be updated (security patches, service packs, etc.) without any problems even when the system partition/drive is encrypted.

http://www.truecrypt.org/faq

Guest Deleted_Account
@X942, I have found this very interesting faq from TrueCrypt website Fags

Will I be able to mount my TrueCrypt partition/container after I reinstall or upgrade the operating system?

Yes, TrueCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. However, you need to make sure your operating system installer does not format the partition where your TrueCrypt volume resides.

Note: If the system partition/drive is encrypted and you want to reinstall or upgrade Windows, you need to decrypt it first (select System > Permanently Decrypt System Partition/Drive). However, a running operating system can be updated (security patches, service packs, etc.) without any problems even when the system partition/drive is encrypted.

http://www.truecrypt.org/faq

Thanks didn't see that first time threw. however apparently you do not want to attempt to install an encrypted LVM install of ubuntu with windows 7 already encrypted (maybe just how i did it not sure) but it wiped the mbr like expected however upon install there was NO grub or other mbr and TC's would see ANYTHING! ! Even a win 7 repair disk wouldn't get the MBR right finally i decrypted and used the TC recovery disk to boot windows. so i decrypted and did it again it worked and now windows 7 is re-encrypting. So as a heads up decrypt FIRST! in my experience at least :o

Good to hear you got that issue sorted.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
Good to hear you got that issue sorted.

Ya just wish it didn't take the 12+ hours to do it. oh well i know for next time! And apparently the normal Ubuntu disk works without a hitch.

Yeah, always decrypt first. Makes things less complicated.

While we're on the subject of TrueCrypt anyone know where/how to get a copy of the TrueCrypt recovery ISO without having to setup encryption and burn a disc? It would be cool if someone wrote a utility to virtually burn discs without having to write them. This would be great for netbooks :)

Edited by SomethingToChatWith

Guest Deleted_Account
Yeah, always decrypt first. Makes things less complicated.

While we're on the subject of TrueCrypt anyone know where/how to get a copy of the TrueCrypt recovery ISO without having to setup encryption and burn a disc? It would be cool if someone wrote a utility to virtually burn discs without having to write them. This would be great for netbooks :)

You can use Daemon tools (link) and mount the iso truecrypt gives you. and then flash it to a flash drive or sdcard AFTER TC checks it. thats what i did before i got my external DVD drive. But be warned if anything goes wrong and you dont have a recovery disk you will have to start fresh so at least have it on a bootable flash drive or so.

The problem is I don't want to burn a single disc with TC recovery, its something I want to add in with my other recovery tools. I'm not currently encrypting or wanting to encrypt the system drive(s), just files. TC doesn't have a sysrecovery disc ISO included with the download (at least not with the portable ver) and because I'm using the portable ver for now I can't encrypt the system with it anyway.

I was reading somewhere it stores the mbr/pbr with the disc so I guess a custom ISO is created when one completes the wizard. That means everyone could have a different ISO, I was hoping it would be the same for everyone.

On the other hand I guess I shouldn't be worrying about this anyway. If there ever were a volume I needed to open that lost its ability to boot I suppose I can mount the volume with TC in WinPE.

Ok, now I'm just rambling in a topic I didn't even start. Shutting up now...

Guest Deleted_Account
The problem is I don't want to burn a single disc with TC recovery, its something I want to add in with my other recovery tools. I'm not currently encrypting or wanting to encrypt the system drive(s), just files. TC doesn't have a sysrecovery disc ISO included with the download (at least not with the portable ver) and because I'm using the portable ver for now I can't encrypt the system with it anyway.

I was reading somewhere it stores the mbr/pbr with the disc so I guess a custom ISO is created when one completes the wizard. That means everyone could have a different ISO, I was hoping it would be the same for everyone.

On the other hand I guess I shouldn't be worrying about this anyway. If there ever were a volume I needed to open that lost its ability to boot I suppose I can mount the volume with TC in WinPE.

Ok, now I'm just rambling in a topic I didn't even start. Shutting up now...

Oh well you are currect about the disk. The TC recovery disk is for whole disk encryption and only saves the Original MBR and the header. You still need your password to use it of course (duh). Basically it is what you see when you boot a TC encrypted disk except with emergency options like Decrypting the drive (once password is specified) and restoring TC bootloader or Windows bootloader. So yes all of them are different. how ever if you are concerned about you MBR use DD command in linux to back it up to a .img file or even better backup the whole drive using something like DD or CloneZilla (spelling?)