Backup Software

joeypesci

It's official. Acronis 2010 is truly shit.

On the look out for a new solutions. Need it to be able to do tasked backups.

Full monday backup

tue-thurs dif backups of monday.

Friday full backups

E-mail me the reports

work well in a domain environment.

Would rather not pay crazy Backup Exec prices

For home use.

Any ideas?

Acronis 2010 is just being a pain in the arse with the permissions, failing to start backups with an error report with nothing in it.

Was good back in v10. But that doesn't work in Win 7 :( so had to use 2010 which has been shit.

Good for the odd manual backup but useless for Tasked.

I don't use backup software at all, I have written my own batch script that does all the back up

work for me at the end of the day.

It first checks for any files that have an archive attribute set, and if it finds any it copies them to my backup server where I have backup tapes and raid solution in place. And it really services me well.

Going back to your question: Have you tried the built in Windows backup solution.

Windows Backup or SyncToy2 (both free, but they don't have the features you want). If you have an MSDN license you could look at MS Data Protection Manager. Backup Exec is nice, but i'm guessing your home environment doesn't have a CAPEX budget ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried Windows Backup, it's shit. Set it up for my brother in laws business as a temp solution. I don't like the way it backups.

Would be nice to see Stormtrooper, I mean, Infiltrator's :) script.

I'll have a look at the open source stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried Windows Backup, it's shit. Set it up for my brother in laws business as a temp solution. I don't like the way it backups.

Would be nice to see Stormtrooper, I mean, Infiltrator's :) script.

I'll have a look at the open source stuff.

Hahaha very funny "Stormtrooper".

Sure I can post my script, I will post it in here when I get some time around.

The script is very simple and I am open for suggestions from anyone if they have it.

Regards,

Infiltrator

Edited by Infiltrator

SO Joe...why is acronis shit? Can you give me an insight? I'm using with a 1tb ext hdd and i've found it ok.

Because I do probably an over the top backup routine for home as you see from first post.

Doing a one off backup it's fine for.

However doing what I've setup it screws up. Know issue that Acronis has never fixed.

Starts the full backup and finished fine.

Next day it does the diff of that full backup. Runs fine. Then few days later after a few successful diffs it decides the next diff will totally overwrite the full backup file. Random week from week.

If you edit the task you've setup, it appears to reset it all.

So your full backup runs on Monday. You edit tuesdays diff task before it runs. It decides to then totally ignore the Monday backup and just does a full backup instead of diff (because you clicked the edit button. You didn't change it, just the act of clicking the edit button makes this happen).

Constantly craps out with domain and network permissions when it's attempting to connect to a share.

The log files tend to be crap. If the network drive isn't on it just claims the password and user name were wrong. It's been doing that for several versions, never fixed.

Currently it's giving this error in the logs, nice and informative.

1 Information 23/06/2010 19:00:02 Operation Daily Backup Tue-Thurs started.

2 Information 23/06/2010 19:01:36 Priority changed to Low.

3 Error 23/06/2010 19:01:59

5 Error 23/06/2010 19:01:59 Operation has completed with errors.

Nice and informative that error log.

I liked it back in V10. It worked. The schedule was a bit clunky but it worked. That doesn't work on Win 7 unfortunately they blocked it. So had to go 2010, was a mistake.

That's why its shit.

Edited by joeypesci

I don't know if you have heard, but apparently Amanda is an opensource backup solution, that is widely used. So why don't you give it a try.

http://amanda.zmanda.com/

It's official. Acronis 2010 is truly shit.

On the look out for a new solutions. Need it to be able to do tasked backups.

Full monday backup

tue-thurs dif backups of monday.

Friday full backups

E-mail me the reports

work well in a domain environment.

Would rather not pay crazy Backup Exec prices

For home use.

Any ideas?

Acronis 2010 is just being a pain in the arse with the permissions, failing to start backups with an error report with nothing in it.

Was good back in v10. But that doesn't work in Win 7 :( so had to use 2010 which has been shit.

Good for the odd manual backup but useless for Tasked.

So if I understand this right you are crating images of the entire drive? I usually have multiple backups one being a drive image after installation of OS, software and updates and misc settings. All data, documents etc are stored on a separate drive which I then use WinZIP to go into whatever folder I want and grab all files packaging into a zip file (unencrypted) and placed on another drive and also a thumb drive. I use a batch script to perform the actions at a button push. If I need a file I can open the associated zip and extract the file or if I suspect a viral or other bad situation on the OS I can restore the image without effecting the data.

In the past I used backup programs in the days of tape drives and/or floppy's until one day when I had to fall back to a backup and not until that moment did I find out my backup software was crap and I lost everything. One error lost me everything in a business environment too boot. For 10+ years I have not had a data loss with WinZIP.

EDIT: Saw you were using windows, so NVM

Same old Linux crap response. I like Windows, I like MS. Never got on with Linux. It's not bad I guess, I just don't like it. But I don't post in every Linux issue thread "Saw you were using Linux, so NVM".

That's another reason to hate Linux, some of the users. ;)

Fair enuf....Like i said..no issues for me so far

:)

Here's another perfect example.

PC 1 is on a domain, logged into a local account

Mapped to the NAS drive fine. Tested folder permissions, can write to it fine.

Load up Acronis 2010. Setup a task to backup to this folder. Put in the login details (had to create an account on the NAS the same as the local Win 7 account to get it to work). Test the account in Acronis. It confirms details are correct and it can get to the share.

Run the backup

Operation Paused

Error occurred while creating the file

Why? Because now suddenly Acronis can't write to the fing NAS drive. Even though everything else can.

FFS!

Oh and the classic log files comes back with

Logon Failure:

Really? But I tested the login in the fing task and you said it was fing OK. FFS!

Edited by joeypesci

Same old Linux crap response. I like Windows, I like MS. Never got on with Linux. It's not bad I guess, I just don't like it. But I don't post in every Linux issue thread "Saw you were using Linux, so NVM".

That's another reason to hate Linux, some of the users. ;)

What a load of bullshit, i was skimming this on my phone and made a suggestion but then noticed you mentioned windows so I went to the effort to edit it out because it was not relevant, my apologies for showing your thread some respect.

Same here. The reason ppl hate Windows so much is that they don't know how to take care of their systems.

Sure that applies to many people, but not to me tiger. I have has 0 issues running windows, not a single security breach either in machines at home or server I maintain at work. I know full well how to maintain an Operating system. Linux is he OS of my choice for my personal machines, I don't give a shit what others choose to use and don't try and convert them.

Not all Linux users are zealots, so stop being crybabies and take my post edit for what it actually was. I've got better and more important things to do than slag off windows users on a fucking forum.

Hey, stop this eternal OS HolyWar :) Don't feed this white nerdy troll

Now on:

Try Handy Backup. Has quite flexible scheduler, so I guess it will satisfy your needs. Very nice for backing up files and/or DBs.

Their website

But, if you wish to backup drive images, I'm afraid you have to use truly shitty Acronis…

Edited by Geek12

Really mods? I'm surprised this thread and the other hasn't been locked.

I don't read every thread and I suspect the other mods don't either. If you think we should be looking at something, use the "report to moderator" button to tell us about it. I personally don't like locking threads so I rarely do it unless there is a blatant cluster fuck in progress.