Web Browser Design

Guest zacharygriggs

Guest zacharygriggs

does any body (and yes i tried google) know where to get a web browser designer. ie web browserfrom scratch for idiots

build a web browser from scratch with basic functions. making it superlight and superfast.

Then you need to learn how to code and read all the source code from all the open-source browsers that you can find so that you can get an idea of what they are doing.

Making it superlight and superfast is pretty pointless. I don't find that once the browser is running that I spend time waiting for the browser to do something, its usually waiting for the website to load because it needs to be downloaded.

I also think you are underestimating the amount of work that you will have to do to get the browser to a state that you would like to use it.

you might want to start with an already developed rendering engine and build from there

Microsoft did not follow this advice and look what happened... they made the least secure web browser ever in the knowen history of the univers!

Hey, IE6 wasn't that bad when they made it, they just didn't update it for years. Firefox has problems as well, there just fixed faster, like the stability issues a few revisions back.

Hey, IE6 wasn't that bad when they made it, they just didn't update it for years. Firefox has problems as well, there just fixed faster, like the stability issues a few revisions back.

Ye... I would imagin that when Firefox becomes more of a target (i.e. when it has 80% of the browser share) that Mozilla will start rolling out critical updates (for 'zero day' vunrabilites) within 24 hours. Since this is how it usualy is with widly used opensource software.

I don't know, whats the firefox team like for resources? If they had 80% of the market share they'd suddenly be fighting the virues/spyware bastards that brought MS IE6 to its knees so many times. Beyond a certain point I think the Firefox bug fix team are going to struggle without more resources/cash.

They have quite a bit of money to throw around alredy. For every adsence link that was clicked ina google seach that was initiated using the google search thing next to the location bar returns a small amount of money to the Mozilla foundation. Any way, they have enough contributors for the Firefox browser that a flaw in the browser can be stopped, but I think the main problem will be distrabution. How much bandwidth must they use every time a new release is made? I'm guessing a hell of alot.

Bandwidth for updates could be a kicker... especially since they don't seem to do patches, just full releases. If you have 10 million users on the market (only a little more than the population of london), and billy wanker has just made a virus than waltzs over your sercurity, you don't want to have 5 million people pull a 5mb updated install of your servers in 24 hours. But even with those very conservative numbers the current way of updating firefox won't work if they want to seriously expand.

Lol. Buy a mac, get XCode, make a webkit object. Done. There's a few decent WebKit browsers out there that are pretty good. However WebKit has a few rendering problems =. It's open source now, tho, and I've notified them of the problems :P. Also, if you're good, you can do something like what OmniWeb did, which although it sucks it does add colorsync profiling to WebKit display.