Compadability Problems

abferm

Hi

I recently decided I wanted to try setting up a home linux server using an old pc that has been sitting around forever. So, I hooked it up. the hard drive was making horrible sounds so I knew it was bad. Luckily I had a 40GB drive in my closet. I stuck it in the machine and installed Ubuntu Server on it, but it wont boot because the motherboard is so old it wont recognize my 40 GB.

I was wondering if there is any way I could write a floppy or CD that would boot the file system on the hard drive.

As Sparda said. If the motherboard isn't recognizing it, there is only a few possibilities.

1) you just broke your Motherboard connector

2) The drive is dead

3) bad cable

4) Jumper settings on the hard drive

Your motherboard should recognize something is there.. even if it cannot identify it.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

jumper is set to master. When I do an auto configure from the bios it shows a hard drive, but all the values are 0.

Ubuntu saw all 40 GB of space so I don't think anything is broken.

Edited by abferm

Then you may need to update the BIOS if possible. Good luck finding support for that old technology.

Wait.. now I'm confused...

Is this one system with a Ubuntu drive in it already? and you are adding a second drive?

Edited by Mr-Protocol

The 40 GB was in the closet because I had been using it to run Windows 7 beta on my main PC, but I took it out to free up an IDE port. This is the only hard drive in the machine I am trying to set up as a server. The motherboard is so old that it has two simm slots in it.

When I referred to Ubuntu seeing the space I was talking about during the installation process.

Edited by abferm

If everything else fails, buy a mini-ATX or ATX motherboard.

They are pretty cheap nowadays.