Network Passthrough

abferm

Hi, I'm sorry if this is common knowledge to other people. I am trying to set up a server, but there aren't enough outlets close to our router. It is a wireless router, and I have a computer in the next room connected through wifi. I have a crossover cable and have tried using that to share internet, but my other computer keeps giving me a message saying it has to have the same IP our router has. I was kind of wondering if I could build some sort of wireless hub with a network jack on it. Is there a cheep way of solving this problem. I would rather not buy another wireless card.

Make sure the computer connected using the cross over cable is set to get it's IP address from DHCP and dosn;t have it set statically.

You'll also need to bridge the two network adapters on the computer that is connected to both the wireless and the other computer.

Make sure the computer connected using the cross over cable is set to get it's IP address from DHCP and dosn;t have it set statically.

You'll also need to bridge the two network adapters on the computer that is connected to both the wireless and the other computer.

Thank you, I just figured out how to do the bridging.

You could use the bridging functionality in Windows, or buy a x5 ports network switch and some cables to connect the devices together.